Home General Discussion
Options

San Francisco

CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
I'm going to be in/around San Francisco come March. Anyone know any place I should check out there cigar related?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1
    I'll be out there next month
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't Jeff, @ExpendableYouth go to school around there
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭

Occidental cigar lounge is prob your best bet.  Don't buy from their stock.  Just bring your own cigars for $5 cutting fee per cigar.  They have a fairly impressive whisky listing too. 

• Options
    edited January 2016
    jliu said:

Occidental cigar lounge is prob your best bet.  Don't buy from their stock.  Just bring your own cigars for $5 cutting fee per cigar.  They have a fairly impressive whisky listing too. 

I don't have any to bring. xD I got a box at Xmas and I just had my last one 2 days ago. (I'm a bit of an addict). xD

Edit: I say Xmas, but I really got them at the end of the first week of December. So 20 cigars lasts me around a month.
  • Options

Dang.  20 cigars in a month?  that's champ style right there. 

Where exactly are you going to be in the bay area?  If you are near east bay or have access to a car, we can make arrangements to herf with the guys here (ie beren, jeff, alan, etc)

• Options
    I have no idea. GF's best friend is getting married and we are coming down for 4 days sometime in March.
  • Options
    Santa Clara/San Jose is what I'm getting in my ear.
  • Options
    Nice.  then youll have access to way more lounges in that area.  I suggest ohlone cigar lounge in fremont (about 20 min w/o traffic) or mission pipe in san jose (5 to 10 min).  Ohlone is nicer imo
  • Options
    jliu said:
    Nice.  then youll have access to way more lounges in that area.  I suggest ohlone cigar lounge in fremont (about 20 min w/o traffic) or mission pipe in san jose (5 to 10 min).  Ohlone is nicer imo
    Looked at both, I like the look of Ohlone but we'd also be right down the street 2 nights from the Mission Pipe.

Also wouldn't mind meeting up with anyone on Friday, the 18th of March, if they wanted to do a smoke session.
  • Options
    @SecretSquirrel @Eulogy @ExpendableYouth.  You guys down?

As for me I can only meet up that night at around 8pm if it's ohlone.  Getting to San Jose will be a nightmare so I'll pass on that
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Chrisus I'd be up for a session on March 18th, Mission Pipe is a respectable joint, lots of focus on pipes but they seem to have a good selection of cigars too.  They have a couple of tables out back.  Another San Jose joint is West Coast Cigar which has a more relaxed, BYOB kind of atmosphere and a fire pit.  It's in South San Jose in an industrial sort of area.  I think they have a grill that you can use to BBQ on too, or so I've heard.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    edited March 2016
    West coast is pretty cool joint and the guys were pretty cool to talk to as well. Ohlone has a special place in my heart. Have fun guys. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    @James40, maybe we can set something up for Ohlone later, what do you like about that shop, I've never been.  Might get some East Bay love for a herf there.

Haven't heard from @Chrisus or @SecretSquirrel @Eulogy @ExpendableYouth on the San Jose herf.  Hey, @jeffpodraza, aren't you local too?

Post edited by Yakster on
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am down for next week or this weekend. I am on spring break next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    @Yakster - Ohlone is good for the selection and the staff are great guys. You can also bring in your own alcohol if you wish. Plus Jiunn is near there. It's not the biggest but it's comfortable and nice. 

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am down for next week or this weekend. I am on spring break next week.
    Who's this guy
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am gonna be in the city for a work thing mid month, but will only have access to Uber. 

Can you fellas gimme some advice? What do you think about Occidental? Worth the time? It will be within walking distance for me

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Well, I just saw @jliu post above. I will count that as a glowing review. 

Thank you sir, I will be sure to have a poopie whilst there. I am sure the toilets are impecable
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    jarubla said:
    I am gonna be in the city for a work thing mid month, but will only have access to Uber. 

Can you fellas gimme some advice? What do you think about Occidental? Worth the time? It will be within walking distance for me

-Jay

I don't know Occidental, but if you're looking for high end coffee you could check out St. Frank (impossible parking) or Ma-velous (a bit sketchy neighborhood and odd hours but serves wine and beer too).
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    @James40, maybe we can set something up for Ohlone later, what do you like about that shop, I've never been.  Might get some East Bay love for a herf there.

Haven't heard from @Chrisus or @SecretSquirrel @Eulogy @ExpendableYouth on the San Jose herf.  Hey, @jeffpodraza, aren't you local too?

Who is Chrisus? And I can do Friday the 18th anywhere close by that you guys want to do it. Please note, I'm not familiar with the area and won't be bringing my own supply, so either we have to be at a shop or I have to rely on someones generosity. (Don't own a Herfador quite yet, it is on the list).
  • Options
    I have been informed we will be staying at the "Avatar Hotel". Which on the map is close to "Mission College". Again, I don't know the area so I'm either going to need the location decided on by you guys as a group, for those of you that want to show up, so that I can plan my route and stuff.
  • Options
    Oh shoot, @Crisus, get the 'h' out of there, I guess I took a look at your handle and figured you didn't know how to spell your own name.  :D

I might have a few sticks to bring but I figured we'd be meeting at a shop just in case.  So, for those that can make it on the 18th, what shop do you like:

*Mission Pipe Shop (West of Downtown in San Jose)
    *West Coast Cigar (South of Downtown in San Jose)
    *Trek out to Ohlone (Fremont, North of San Jose)
  • Options
    You are also missing the "i" after the first S. It's a name I came up with for a DnD campaign in 6th grade and have used it ever since. But if it's easier, you can call me Dane. (real name), a few of the guys do already.

Also I'm good with any location. But as it's not my area, I figured anyone who was close and interested would have a spot in mind for such an occasion.
  • Options
    Crisius, PM sent
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Ah geeze, flubbed it again. Sorry, @Crisius. The only D&D character name I can remember (it was a long time ago), is Yohimbie. 

As for me, I say West Coast Cigar, but I'll go with the flow if Mission Pipe is the favorite, Ohlone is a haul on a Friday night. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crisius said:
    You are also missing the "i" after the first S. It's a name I came up with for a DnD campaign in 6th grade and have used it ever since. But if it's easier, you can call me Dane. (real name), a few of the guys do already.

Also I'm good with any location. But as it's not my area, I figured anyone who was close and interested would have a spot in mind for such an occasion.
    Heh, my name came from a DnD campaign as well.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Ah geeze, flubbed it again. Sorry, @Crisius. The only D&D character name I can remember (it was a long time ago), is Yohimbie. 

As for me, I say West Coast Cigar, but I'll go with the flow if Mission Pipe is the favorite, Ohlone is a haul on a Friday night. 
    Let's see what other people have to say and go from there, I'm not sure how many want to show, but I'd rather put it to a vote of those that would like to meet.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dnd name faded in the early 80s. I was and never will be. Froxiulous. Dragon slayer...

I only killed goblins and orcs. Never met a dragon. Waste of time dms
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Crisius said:
    I have been informed we will be staying at the "Avatar Hotel". Which on the map is close to "Mission College". Again, I don't know the area so I'm either going to need the location decided on by you guys as a group, for those of you that want to show up, so that I can plan my route and stuff.
    Oh, I think I missed this before, or glossed over it, I know the area well.  You're near Great America and the new Levi's '49rs stadium.  Real close to you is a the Mercado center that has a SmokeEaters for wings and craft beer, an In-N-Out, a movie theater, and some restaurants and stores.   There's a Walmart there if you need to pick up any groceries or sundries. 

I have a favorite place near there for wanton soup and pad thai, Pho Van, a bit of a hole-in-the-wall but great food, I used to eat there three times a week when I worked within walking distance.
  • Options
    I did some more checking out of Mission Pipe and West Coast Cigar, Mission Pipe does have some nice indoor seating and they have a better selection of cigars and are closer to the hotel Crisius will be staying at so it's probably a better fit. You do have to purchase the cigars at Mission Pipe to smoke them in their lounge.

I guess I'm changing my vote to Mission Pipe for this get-together.