What is a "fumas"?

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
Brickhouse fumas, Padilla fumas.....
they are in the new Cigar.com magazine. 
Just wondering
One God, One Truth

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    They use scraps from making the top line blend and roll cigars up in sandwich style.

Don't ask me what sandwich style is lol 
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Thanks. 
    One God, One Truth
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    They use scraps from making the top line blend and roll cigars up in sandwich style.

Don't ask me what sandwich style is lol 
    You mean like Yellow Cake and Funfetti?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    @roland_7707 all joking aside, I enjoy sandwich style in the smaller vitolas.

Here is a good video illustrating sandwich style. No mayo to be found!

http://youtu.be/snwk5O5zvgQ
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the term interchangable with "short filler"?
    The video looked like short filler scraps sandwiched with long binder. So not quite short filler, but close.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • griehundgriehund Posts: 1
    So are we to conclude that fumas use scraps and puros do not? 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puros simply means that all the tobacco used in a given cigar came from the same country.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe "fumas" is Spanish for "smokes", as in "I'm going for a smoke."
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, fumar I believe is the Spanish verb for " to smoke" and fumas is exactly that.  

Just a fun name they have tagged onto some yard gar blends. 
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America

• TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought "fumas" is what I pass after eating beans, lol  
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fumas literally means "smokes". 

Basically, if a cigar maker is looking to test out new blends, he will roll up some quickie smokes, like "let's see what a one of this and a half of that and two of the other tastes like when I wrap it in this." Appearance is irrelevant. Aging is out of the question. These are fumas.

For example, I was rooting round my aging cooler the other day when I bumped into a box of quickies where I was trying out different blends of leaves from a guy named Jorge down in Florida, I think the name of his biz is Roller's Choice. Big ol perfecto fatties. Never went in a mold. I gave up on his leaf cause I thought it was too rank for me. So I never did get a keeper blend out of it. You might go thru a whole series of fumas and get nowhere. How you learn. Lately, I read someone say as how Jorge's leaf improves if you let it set six months. So I might try these fumas again, here when the weather gets mild enough to smoke outside (cause they stink strong).

Which puts me in mind of another example: Here, I actually started backwards. I had some Dominican Olor seco and Corojo seco, viso, and ligero. I got to thinking I should combine these and call them Olorojo. You take that work apart in Spanish, and you get StinkEye. So I made me some stinkeye bands, then I started in on fumas, to decide how to blend a Stinkeye. I tried corojo viso and ligero with the olor, habano wrapped. It was OK, but not stash-worthy. I tried various binders. No go. I finally settled on corojo seco with the olor seco as a binder and a silver river wrapper. Now, that's stash-worthy. So here's where I moved off the fumas quickies and into molded robustos. From these quickie fumas:

to these stash-worthy Stinkeyes :

That's the Silver River right there.

Course, someone somewhere is gonna say "Let's sell some quickie test sticks cheap." Not real careful construction. Unrefined blend. No age. Now you have fumas for sale. Just for the fun of it. Nothing wrong with that. Some of my faves were sold as seconds.

Here's another shot of the Stinkeye band:

Fumas are a big part of the fun. Like a mock-up, proto-type, or sketch.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)