Home General Discussion

Are all Gurkhas created equal (or bad)?

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in General Discussion
So I smoked a Gurkha Beast tonight that I received in a bomb. I really ENJOYED IT! Nice smoke output, good flavors that changed some through the smoke that kept it interesting and it lasted me 2 hours.
So my question is, are all Gurkhas created equal or are some better then others? I am a newbie so maybe my palate is just not refined yet?
I see a lot of Gurkha hate and so far my one interaction has been good.

Comments

• reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    I have smoked a lot of Gurkhas, honestly, 1 or 2 have been "good" at best, the worst part, for me, are the construction and burn issues, I'll smoke em if gifted to me but if they start actin up. They gone!!
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only had 2. 1 the burn was all wonky and tight draw. The other smoked a bit better but still had a bit of a wonky burn and produced very very little smoke. My opinion there is so many others I can get for same money why bother?

My experience with RP is pretty much the same. That is why I refuse to buy a sampler that involves Gurkha, RP or Sancho Panza  (a true yard gar, thrown in the yard shortly after lighting).
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you smoked, a good Gurkha Beast, is the most frustrating thing.  Before I quit Gurkha's entirely, one of my last purchases was a Beast 5-pack.  2 were good.  3 blew up / fell apart within 10 minutes of lighting.  :/
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • wheel366wheel366 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    I've had good and bad Gurkhas but I have had good and bad cigars of all brands.  SOme that I really like are the Beauty, Genghis Khan, Triple Ligero, Titan and Beast (but I have had issues with wrappers on those) and a few others I can't remember. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give the Ghost a try. It's a freaking smoke monster. Or the cellar reserves all great in my book. Seduction used to be real good until the started selling them in catalogs. But I love the beast and titan, when they burn right. But I'm a firm believer that they all do much better with a day or at least 6 hours in the dry box. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so don't flame me too bad. Honest question. 

Are Diesel's better than Gurkhas?

I admit, I have only had one diesel and it tasted like a really strong, really tarry pine branch. I got half way and had to pitch it. 

Subsequently I have been re-bombing the diesels to other people whenever I get them in trades, etc. 

Am I making a grave mistake? 

I like AJ's other blends -- but the unholy cocktail I smoked last summer was not enjoyable. In all honesty, most likely due to my then-4-month-old palate. 

Do I need to revisit Diesel, and revise them from my estimation of placing them roughly equivalent to Gurkha?

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:

I admit, I have only had one diesel and it tasted like a really strong, really tarry pine branch. I got half way and had to pitch it. 

Subsequently I have been re-bombing the diesels to other people whenever I get them in trades, etc. 

I like AJ's other blends -- but the unholy cocktail I smoked last summer was not enjoyable. In all honesty, most likely due to my then-4-month-old palate. 

Do I need to revisit Diesel, and revise them from my estimation of placing them roughly equivalent to Gurkha?

-Jay

This is all personal taste.  I will never discount an entire brand based on one cigar.  I try them all and the ones I do not like I don't bother with, but to me having one bad cigar and saying they all must be like this is unfair. 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    I've only smoked a diesel unlimited lancero.  I thought it more as a medium stick (thought it would be more potent). I also did not get pepper or spice like I hear is typical AJ stick. To me it was like a creamy and nut and maybe a bit leather. Nothing harsh or bitter. But like you I do not have a well developed palete and I have also been fighting a cold.
    edited January 2016

This is all personal taste.  I will never discount an entire brand based on one cigar.  I try them all and the ones I do not like I don't bother with, but to me having one bad cigar and saying they all must be like this is unfair. 
    Fair enough -- and admittedly, that could be said about any stick. 

It hasn't been a 'fvck diesel and the horse they rode in on', but more along the lines of it created a massive hesitation on my part any time I picked one up. Call it a Pavlovian response. 

Mr Brickey, your post has made me realize I need to go back and try some other lines in the brands that I thought were mediocre. Because dammit, tastes change, or can be affected by what I ate or my mood, or any number of variables. 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    FWIW, the Gurkha 18 cellar reserve was a good 'un
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I have smoked very few Diesels. When I first joined here guys would say they need to age a year. I had no space so I didn't buy them. I have since bought several and they are getting some age. 
    I will say this though: I've never heard almost unanimous complaints about their construction issues like I have about gurkha. Diesel also does not claim to be the Rolls Royce of cigars.
  • wheel366wheel366 Posts: 41 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
     Diesel also does not claim to be the Rolls Royce of cigars.

No they don't but everytime a new AJ blend comes out the catalog says something about it being the most cubanesc that he has come out with.  Look through old catalogs.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  I'm also not a huge AJ fan, so I have to let that be know.  I did like the Diesel with serious age.  I liked the Diesel unlimited immediately!  I liked the pinolero a lot and I really like the skull crusher and little devil.  The rest to me just don't do it for me.  Same thing with Tatuaje and DPG.  Their tastes are just not my tastes.  But isn't that what it comes down to?  Personal Taste?

Fuente is my favorite brand but there are some cigars they make I don't like. 
    I have smoked very few Diesels. When I first joined here guys would say they need to age a year. I had no space so I didn't buy them. I have since bought several and they are getting some age. 
    I will say this though: I've never heard almost unanimous complaints about their construction issues like I have about gurkha. Diesel also does not claim to be the Rolls Royce of cigars.
    Good to know, Charlie. I will stop passing the dutchie every time I get them and let them sleep a while. 

-Jay
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wheel366 said:
     Diesel also does not claim to be the Rolls Royce of cigars.

No they don't but everytime a new AJ blend comes out the catalog says something about it being the most cubanesc that he has come out with.  Look through old catalogs.  You'll see what I'm talking about.  I'm also not a huge AJ fan, so I have to let that be know.  I did like the Diesel with serious age.  I liked the Diesel unlimited immediately!  I liked the pinolero a lot and I really like the skull crusher and little devil.  The rest to me just don't do it for me.  Same thing with Tatuaje and DPG.  Their tastes are just not my tastes.  But isn't that what it comes down to?  Personal Taste?

Fuente is my favorite brand but there are some cigars they make I don't like. 
    Taste is subjective, no doubt.
    I rarely read the catalog for the sales pitch. Their job is to make the sh**tiest cigar sound like something you need to have. I just look at the wrapper, binder and filler info. 
    edited January 2016
    I'll give Gurkha  credit for some kewl packaging. The thing is tho, if you put a tuurd in a fancy box it's still a tuurd.
    jarubla said:

-Jay
    Smoking an Unholy Cocktail tonight. Holy trout sniffing Batman, was I wrong about them. Very tasty stick!!
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are some good and some not so good.
    I like the Rogue rascal. It's not terrible and usually doesn't have too many issues other than burning funny sometimes. And the price is reflective of it. Pretty reasonable.

As for Diesels, I like the Hair of the dog, but the wicked is a little harsh to me.

It's hard to say that a cigar is bad as a whole. 
    Just like some folks like stuff like the Puros Indios and I can't bring myself to like them very much.

I never give up on a brand/line by smoking just one cigar.
    But then again, if you get a great cigar, don't fall in love with it too much until you've had a few of them.
    Cause you may smoke one that is great and grab another and think, "What the hell happened to this one?"
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.