Home General Discussion
Options

How Did You Start Smoking?

CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
I am curious as to how people on here got exposed to cigars. Personally, my brother started in college and came back with a few for my father and me to try. It was a fad for my brother back then. He just smoked because everyone of his friend did. Back then, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but my brother gave me some BASIC tips (i.e. don't inhale smoke/use matches to light it) I was instantly drawn to them and started to smoke more sticks. Eventually bought a small 10 count humidor from my B&M and started reading guides and tips online. A few years later, in my family I am known as the "cigar guy". 

How did you start smoking cigars?
How do make this text turn upside down?

Comments

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had a retail tobacco store that had a walk-in humidor when I was about 21. My friends and I used to go buy singles to smoke while drinking beer on the weekends. It closed and I went about 15 years without having a real cigar (swisher outlaws don't count, right?) until a cousin gave me one at a family function about three years ago. Forgot how much I enjoyed it so I bought a humi and here I am.
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    A buddy and I started when we were 18 i think, we liked the sophistication of them coming from smaller city there was not much sophistication anywhere, we had a small B&M but that didn't last long as we were young and had no money, later on in life i found my dad pipe collection in the attic, and fired one up, was into that for awhile then @wahooschock told me about this forum so i was lurking around, and had another co-worker that would come over every now and then and smoke a stick while i puffed, then i just made the switch, started hanging around here more and building my education and threw the news letters found a lot more variety, and now i'm just i'm just continuing  my education thanks guys!
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gut-shot a rabbit when I was but a wee lad, and me pops gave me a stick to cover the smell.  ;)
    Growing up there was always a layer of cigar smoke in the air after bedtime. I used to find excuses to get out of bed just to smell it. Now my kids do the same.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First real cigars (if you want to call them that) were bought out of a nice shop inside a truck stop in Colorado (for the life of me can't remember location). Bought on a whim the owner suggested Macanudo ascots and I believe it was a crystal (of some sort).
    Liked them ascots and when I was around that shop I'd buy a couple tins. Quit driving for 9yrs and rural KS swisher and the like is the only game remotely close. On another whim started searching online for them and heard they weren't as good as use to be so I ended up buying a couple samplers and found this place in the process.  
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked gas station cigars for years until my son brought me a hand made cigar from a B & M near his college.  The rest is history.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought some from Ccom as a gift and the bi-monthly barrage of catalogues drew me in with their thousand tiny little siren songs. They all sounded delicious! I didn't have any wax to stop my ears with, and my men used slip knots when lashing me to the mast. 

At least I think that is how it happened...
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Work trip to Cali and several beers later a cohiba was fired up. Heard about CCOM by the guy who gave it to me. Found the forum and it's been downhill ever since. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a very heave cigarette smoker for a decade and I quit cold turkey.  I felt terrible for about a month, headaches, shakes, night sweats, nothing good.  Periodically I would smoke a cigar throughout the year, long story short I had one and felt great.  And the rest as they say is history.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.