Home General Discussion

Challenger disaster

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you remember where you were 30 years ago when you heard about this? My senior year of high school in government class. What about everyone else?

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in 3rd grade ironically at Columbia elementary school in East orlando probably 20 miles from Cape canaveral. It used to be common for all schools to let the kids go outside and watch the launches in orlando. It can be seen for miles. Obviously it wasn't a great idea that day
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you remember where you were 30 years ago when you heard about this? My senior year of high school in government class. What about everyone else?

Same here.
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7th grade in science class. Was watching it for part of the class.
  • MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 5 months old...
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    I was 5 months old...
    Wow I feel a bit old
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was on the job then and I was watching it on one of the TV.s in the HQ classroom.

You guys are making me feel old too!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Watched it in the media center at my elementary school. Pretty devastating for a ten year old.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was at work cause.... I was 25... Very heartbreaking
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Heh, you kids, I was 37, just popped into the local camera shop, couldn't understand for a while why everyone was looking pale. 
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember this too. Still get a tiny pang of sadness when I think about it 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Working for MCI Telecommunications. Everyone on the floor gravitated to the conference room with a TV. You could hear a pin drop. 
  • Bigsmoke78Bigsmoke78 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    Happened on my birthday
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was very cold. I think I was off work that day due to heavy snow. I went to help my father down on the farm. He was having trouble due to frozen pipes and other cold/snow problems. I remember telling him and my mother about it when I got there. They had been outside all morning at that point and hadn't heard. Shuttle missions had become routine. They didn't want to believe me.