Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Well There Goes my Cigar Budget

CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in Non Cigar Related
Seems the transmission went on my 03 Honda Accord. 

Was at an intersection and was pulling out and I heard a loud knock and crack and it jerked a little and stalled. No power to the wheels. Put it in neutral and a good Samaritan came by and helped me push off to the side. Had no money but gave him a cigar. (Hopefully he knew how to smoke it) Tried to shut the car off and put in park. A grinding noise, like metal on metal, happened when I tried putting it in park. So, I turned the car off and put it in neutral. Called a friend to help me tow it with his pickup home. On the way home, the entire time there was this grinding noise. Got home and tried to put in in the garage. Couldn't put the car in neutral but i still was able to push it into the garage. Seems the tranny went.

So I got back home, said fu..ck it and grabbed and AF Hemingway.

The thing that pisses me off more is that it is my first automatic and it has less than 115K miles. The reason I bought the car is because Hondas are known to have around 200K before they start crapping out.

How do make this text turn upside down?

Comments

• Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Man that sucks. Sorry to hear that. I have an 04 Accord with 143K. Did a trans service last year. Usually gets done every 2 to 3 years. Running good at this time. In regards to your car you are right, it's a bit early for that type of failure
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    I'll wager it was a V6 automatic...  There were several years, beginning w/ Gen6 through Gen7, that Honda had V6 tranny issues.  Another reason all my Hondas are manuals.  The only good news is there are plenty of them waiting in boneyards.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    Actually it is a L4. But I did some research on it and Honda did a recall on 03-04 Honda Accord for transmission failures. 

I am the second owner of this car and Honda did put out a recall in April 2004. But, I don't know if the previous owner, gave the car to the dealer to work on the recall. Honda explains what goes wrong and the effects after the tranny fails and it perfectly describes what happened to me.

It is possible for me to claim this recall 12 years later? 

How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some recalls have time frames on them, but many are open to the life of the car. Call your local dealership. They could look by VIN to see if it's eligible.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt it but the worst they can do is say no. 

Hondas do seem to run for a very long time. Only problem is when they do break down they tend to be rather expensive to repair 
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most recalls do not have an expiration date just product updates. Call your dealer and give them your vin