Home General Discussion
Options

real or fake?

silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
this was gifted to me last year, is it real or counterfeit?

Comments

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Need more photos. Close up of caps, band and foot
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really need to submerge it in water for exactly an hour to tell. ... Oh wait that was to get the most flavor.. Carry on
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's got "the font"....
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not a Cuban rounds. Lol
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dissect it.

Band is fake for sure. Look at the spacing in H ab a n a. Looks like squares are touching gold border as well. As others mentioned the font. 

Exacto knife it and see theirs any limbs, TP, etc. I know others sometimes smoke them but not sure I would. 

Do you know the origin of purchase? If Jamaica it may have ganji in there lol.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to be a better quality wrapper than a lot of fakes. I highly doubt its got anything strange in there. It's probably a just a yard gar with a fauxhiba band.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Thanks, gentlemen. Looks like I got a genuine fake.
  • Options
    looking for my xacto knife....
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I read this title I thought it was gonna be about boobs....damn...
    Same here...  maybe next time.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:

We can always continue this!

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smoke it, see what you think.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    peter4jc said:

We can always continue this!

Those may be fake but they look spectacular. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorns are fake, all b o o bs are real. Some just enhanced
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    NorDoorNorDoor Posts: 2
    Fake or real?

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fake.  I believe the Indian head is supposed to be outlined in white.
  • Options
    The new 2014 band looks real but it is hard to tell in the pics with the lighting and reflections.. The squares and font looks aligned and correct. Gonna say they look real but better pics would help alot.

No cello so maybe they are fake.  ;)

Def alot of cracking and chipping on the wrap. Over handled maybe???
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

Look at this and then look at yours. Based on your pic, it looks fake, but it isn't a great pic, so I won't pretend to know definitively.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    variant2variant2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭
    Definitely a fake. The "C" in Cuba is a giveaway and the wrapper's texture looks wrong.

Cнeerѕ! Moтнerғυcĸer
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Google search for "Cuban Cigars: Real or Fake?" or any similar phrase will turn up many websites that will explain this topic. 

There used to be one that was extremely detailed, showing photos of cigars, labels, packaging, etc.and pointing out the different things to look for to determine if they were real or fake. Unfortunately, I failed to bookmark the URL for that site. Maybe one of the old-timers will remember the one I'm referring to. IIRC, it also covered many brands, not just Cohiba. 

A case in point: a friend gifted me with a fiver of Cohibas that he bought in Cabo San Lucas. That fact immediately turned on my radar but I didn't say anything to him right away. I didn't want to hurt his feelings. 

They came in a wooden box with a sliding glass lid. (Clue #2). There were legitimate looking seals and stickers on the box adding to the illusion that they were real. One of the seals was even a hologram showing an outline of the island of Cuba but instead of saying 'Cuba' on it, it said 'Aqui' (clue #3). 

On the back of the box, where it would say "Totalmente a Mano" on a legitimate box, meaning 'totally made by hand,  it said "Totalmente a nana", meaning 'totally made by grandma'. The clowns who made and sold these fakes were even yanking our chain making fun of the fact that most of us don't speak Spanish. 

All of these points were covered in the website I wish I had bookmarked. Anyway, do some googling and satisfy yourself about some of the points you can check. 
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd give you static about you Bungel's cheerleaders  but better looking cheerleaders is the one thing they have one the Steelers.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    A Google search for "Cuban Cigars: Real or Fake?" or any similar phrase will turn up many websites that will explain this topic. 

There used to be one that was extremely detailed, showing photos of cigars, labels, packaging, etc.and pointing out the different things to look for to determine if they were real or fake. Unfortunately, I failed to bookmark the URL for that site. Maybe one of the old-timers will remember the one I'm referring to. IIRC, it also covered many brands, not just Cohiba. 

A case in point: a friend gifted me with a fiver of Cohibas that he bought in Cabo San Lucas. That fact immediately turned on my radar but I didn't say anything to him right away. I didn't want to hurt his feelings. 

They came in a wooden box with a sliding glass lid. (Clue #2). There were legitimate looking seals and stickers on the box adding to the illusion that they were real. One of the seals was even a hologram showing an outline of the island of Cuba but instead of saying 'Cuba' on it, it said 'Aqui' (clue #3). 

On the back of the box, where it would say "Totalmente a Mano" on a legitimate box, meaning 'totally made by hand,  it said "Totalmente a nana", meaning 'totally made by grandma'. The clowns who made and sold these fakes were even yanking our chain making fun of the fact that most of us don't speak Spanish. 

All of these points were covered in the website I wish I had bookmarked. Anyway, do some googling and satisfy yourself about some of the points you can check. 
    www.cubancigarwebsite.com
  • Options
    NorDoor said:
    Fake or real?

Better pic would help for sure but I looked again after some other comments and the C in Cuba upper stroke is not touching the writing (gap seen in pic) good eye @variant2. Also as @rsherman24pointed out no white around the border of the head silhouette. 

I say it is good band fake for sure. Close. Most are way more off. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    jlmarta said:

www.cubancigarwebsite.com
    Yessiree, @bandyt09, I do believe that's the one. It'll tell ya just about anything you want to know about Cuban cigars. 

Many thanks, Todd. I'll d amn sure bookmark it this time. Youze is a good kid....  B)
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Got these as a gift from a supplier. Any idea if they are legit?They came in a sampler box of 5. So dry they're not smokable right now.