Home General Discussion
Options

Ghurka - Hate them or love them and why?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    My opinion after smoking a few...Gurkha is a yard gar. something to keep me occupied while I work. 
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tried a Black Ops Rubicon Torpedo and found it to be reasonably well made. the taste and smell was decent.  The first cigar I was able to smoke all the way through without setting it down.  I would smoke one again, but only if it's on sale at a really good price.

Definitely know what you guys mean about gimmicks and marketing.  If they gave up spending all of the money they do on packaging they would likely sell these things for half of what they currently do.

No love or hate either way.  It's just another ok cigar.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know it's a Ghurka thread but Rocky Patel is heading down the same road. He has about 50 different gars it seems and a new one pops up every month. They are all over sales pages in magazines as well. Like to see what his advertising cost are.

There are some good one but hard to keep up.

Not sure why these companies don't focus more on creating a great gar and improve it over time if possible with reasonable cost.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have to give K. Hansotia & Co. credit. He is a marketing genius.

It is too bad the quality of his cigars does not match the hype. I got the 30 pack monster maduro sampler as a gift. Over half had construction issues, plugged, canoeing, soft, wrapper cracking, or just plain bland. The Ghengis Khan was the only one that I had no problems with. I was curious about the anejo rum infused so I got one from a local b&m. Perfect burn, but it was so sweet, I probably smoked a quarter of it and left it in an astray.

So many other cigars for the same price or less that I will not be Ghurkad again. 

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So of they are so bad, how do they consistantly "rate" in the 90s? Who is rating them?
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some jurkha
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MikeTodd said:
    So of they are so bad, how do they consistantly "rate" in the 90s? Who is rating them?
     Because they pay for a **** ton of advertising in the magazines that rate them that high.
  • Options
    CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I actually just smoked a Gurkha Elegance yesterday after getting a few different types from @WaterNerd, I liked it. A good strong cedar flavor all the way through, did have a bit of a burn rate issue though after one side hit the mid point of the cigar, it slowed down and the rest of the cigar caught up. Ended up being a nub between my 2 fingers.
  • Options
    EssPee2uEssPee2u Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    The Gurkha Ghost is one of my favorites, and I don't mind a Yakuza from time to time as for the rest of them if there is no other option then I typically don't smoke.  I found that many of the others I have tried did not come across as anything special or make me want to purchase some more.  So I stop trying the many offerings they have.
    Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan: no flavor and major construction flaws and issues.
    The secret word is cigars!