Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Sometimes, there is good news.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
My son has been battling his diabetes and wanting to get on an insulin pump, but the cost of it and the insulin has made it expensive for him. 
He doesn't have good insurance to cover it, so his regular insulin is about $200/month.
So I was talking to my cousin a couple weeks ago and he asked why he wasn't going to an Indian Health clinic. 

You know how that light bulb in your head goes off when something so simple dawns on you and your brain goes, "Now why didn't I think of that?"
So my son calls the Indian health clinic in Salem and they make him an appointment and his appointment and insulin will be covered by them.
They will mail him his insulin in 3 month supplies and it is all covered by them.
So now, he won't be having to scrape up the money or borrow money from me for his insulin.

This is a good day.
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news bro
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great when things fall into place.  Keep lookin' up, Tony.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news, Tony. Everybody needs a little sunshine to fall on them every now and again. I'm happy for you and your son....  B)
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anybody have decent insurance at a reasonable rate anymore?

This is awesome news. Very happy for your family.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    Does anybody have decent insurance at a reasonable rate anymore?

Yes. AFAIK Congress has a very good plan.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's great news 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent news
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome!  
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news! They do good work
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad your son's needs are being met, good program. I'm on medicare, paid into it my whole life, and the premiums are still $340/month, not including pharmaceuticals.
  • Options
    I'm just glad to hear good news from someone concerning health insurance issues as all I usually hear is bad.

Had great insurance before the AFFORDABLE care act. Had regular job back then. Since then I got rid of cable and everything else not needed to afford health care. Joke with liberals that with Obama's projected energy savings I will have to quit eating to pay for the savings. Lol
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good, nice when peoples needs are being met.  I hope things continue to improve for you and your son.

Now, the other shoe. 

I don't think this has anything to do with insurance. 

Does it? 

I think this is what Obama wanted for everyone. 

Isn't it?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand your point, @Amos_Umwhat.  I'm under the impression that a person must be a Native Anerican to qualify for care by an Indian health clinic. If that's correct, then it's obviously not Obamacare. 

If that's also correct, then how do you see Obama being responsible for it?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    jlmarta said:
    I'm not sure I understand your point, @Amos_Umwhat.  I'm under the impression that a person must be a Native Anerican to qualify for care by an Indian health clinic. If that's correct, then it's obviously not Obamacare. 

@jlmarta I don't see Obama as being responsible for it. Sorry if that impression came across.

What I noticed in the other replies above was that there seemed to be some notion that health "insurance" issues were at play.  As well as the question "does anyone have good insurance anymore?"  The answer is probably "No", I know I don't think I do.
         So, the point I was making was that the insurance industries were not involved.  This is a government program, tax dollars providing health care for Americans.  I think this is a good use for tax dollars.

Next came mention of the woes imposed by the ACA.  Not denying that at all, but, the ACA as created by Congress has done very little for the public, and a great deal for the Insurance industry.  Obama was an idiot for not vetoing it, in my opinion it was a poison apple, but I don't think it was what Obama really wanted.  I think that what he, and other proponents of taking down the mighty insurance powers are asking for is a program similar, or perhaps identical to what we're seeing happen for 0patience's son.

So, I know that my positions must seem confounding for some.  For instance, I believe strongly in the 2nd Amendment rights provided by the Constitution, but that doesn't mean I will swallow whole anything someone claiming to represent "The Right" puts out there, nor will I blindly castigate everything someone from "The Left" has to offer.  I think most people believe they think that way as well, however, what I see in the culture around me belies that belief. 

All too often we decide we don't like someone, or someone's beliefs on some issue, and then we use every opportunity to hate them and never take a moment to hear what they're saying and evaluate its possible merit.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    jlmarta said:

@jlmarta I don't see Obama as being responsible for it. Sorry if that impression came across.

What I noticed in the other replies above was that there seemed to be some notion that health "insurance" issues were at play.  As well as the question "does anyone have good insurance anymore?"  The answer is probably "No", I know I don't think I do.
         So, the point I was making was that the insurance industries were not involved.  This is a government program, tax dollars providing health care for Americans.  I think this is a good use for tax dollars.

Next came mention of the woes imposed by the ACA.  Not denying that at all, but, the ACA as created by Congress has done very little for the public, and a great deal for the Insurance industry.  Obama was an idiot for not vetoing it, in my opinion it was a poison apple, but I don't think it was what Obama really wanted.  I think that what he, and other proponents of taking down the mighty insurance powers are asking for is a program similar, or perhaps identical to what we're seeing happen for 0patience's son.

So, I know that my positions must seem confounding for some.  For instance, I believe strongly in the 2nd Amendment rights provided by the Constitution, but that doesn't mean I will swallow whole anything someone claiming to represent "The Right" puts out there, nor will I blindly castigate everything someone from "The Left" has to offer.  I think most people believe they think that way as well, however, what I see in the culture around me belies that belief. 

All too often we decide we don't like someone, or someone's beliefs on some issue, and then we use every opportunity to hate them and never take a moment to hear what they're saying and evaluate its possible merit.
    Thanks for clarifying. As for the question "does anyone have good insurance" it seems to me that the only good insurance is that which congress has created for itself to the exclusion of the rest if us. If not, why would they have bothered?

It must be nice to be part of the elite.....  ;)
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "the ACA as created by Congress has done very little for the public, and a great deal for the Insurance industry.  Obama was an idiot for not vetoing it, in my opinion it was a poison apple, but I don't think it was what Obama really wanted. "

Good Grief! This, of all things, not the creation of Our Favorite Fascist!
    It must have been George Bush's fault!

Holy Hannah... I need a yoga class... and some essential oils... and maybe a joint. Great Googly Moogly. And to top it all off, all of us who were so stridently opposed to this major boondoggle at the time, we were called racists, unthinking stingy teabagger reactionary dupes of right wing tinfoil hat radio talk show hosts.

un bee leave able

deep breaths ... I need to go find the cutest pic of the day and post it up
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited February 2016
    webmost said:
    "the ACA as created by Congress has done very little for the public, and a great deal for the Insurance industry.  Obama was an idiot for not vetoing it, in my opinion it was a poison apple, but I don't think it was what Obama really wanted. "

Good Grief! This, of all things, not the creation of Our Favorite Fascist!
    It must have been George Bush's fault!

Holy Hannah... I need a yoga class... and some essential oils... and maybe a joint. Great Googly Moogly. And to top it all off, all of us who were so stridently opposed to this major boondoggle at the time, we were called racists, unthinking stingy teabagger reactionary dupes of right wing tinfoil hat radio talk show hosts.

un bee leave able

deep breaths ... I need to go find the cutest pic of the day and post it up
    You sure manage to add a lot of things that weren't said, or even vaguely implied to this conversation.  Please refer yourself to the last paragraph of my statement above, seems to me you're the one in need of a reality check here. 

You're entitled to your opinions, of course, or whomever's it is you're using at the moment. 

I'll stick to coming up with my own, and thanks for so vividly demonstrating the point I was making in that last paragraph.

• Options
    Not good health insurance was mentioned in the original post is why I asked if anyone had good health  insurance. 

The affordable care act was a train wreck and filled with lies before ever leaving the depot. VA is stunning example of government  ran  health care.

As far as agreeing with the current white house resident I'm still waiting for him to say or do something I can agree  with... he still has a few months, not holding my breath.
  • Options
    kswildcat said:
    Not good health insurance was mentioned in the original post is why I asked if anyone had good health  insurance. 

The affordable care act was a train wreck and filled with lies before ever leaving the depot. VA is stunning example of government  ran  health care.

As far as agreeing with the current white house resident I'm still waiting for him to say or do something I can agree  with... he still has a few months, not holding my breath.
    No disagreement here.

• Options
    Preach on brother wildcat 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    If it helps I'm equal opportunity, wasn't to hip with either of the Bush's neither.  :)
    Post edited by kswildcat on
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indian health is health care for Native Americans.
    Any Native American who is registered or enrolled in a nationally recognized tribe is eligible to receive benefits from Indian Health. 
    Those Native Americans who are not from a nationally recognized tribe are left out.
    So I find it interesting when there are Native americans who cry about descrimination.
    Kind of laughable.

As for ACA. 
    The way I see it is, those who could afford insurance, whether from their employer or they purchased it themselves, ended up with worse insurance for more money.
    My insurance went from 90% coverage with a $50 deductible to 80% coverage and $100 deductible and a $500 deductible per year.
    And my cost went up from $115 per month to $285 per month, through my employer and I work for the govt!

As for my dental coverage, it's pretty much useless.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Yep. Good ol' Obummercare.....  Ain't it wunnerful??   :s
  • Options
    Thanks obama  :/
    Non Crux sed lux