Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Cancer

jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
my next door neighbor, good dude, in the Huntsman Cancer Institute with days to live. He fell down at work last week, back pain, rushed to hospital and they found the stage four lung cancer (non smoker).

He is 40-ish, like me. 

I just learned of it from his wife as I was soaking up some rays on my porch Sunday morning and she pulled up in their van. One of those things you never expect to happen, not to a young healthy fella with four kids and years ahead of him.

He and I were supposed to mend the fence between our back yards this spring.

Have had some good conversation with my kids during this rough time. They don't remember my stepdad going through his cancer and dying; it is tough on them as it is happening to a neighbor they saw every day for the last two years. 

My neighbors children, needless to say, are in shock, we are in shock, and we are praying for them. 

Tough situation, all around. Wanted to write a few words down here to help me organize my thoughts. I am a firm believer in prayer, if any of you FOTL (Family of the leaf) feel so inclined, would you mind praying for Keith and his family?

-J
“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your friend.

My sister passed not to long ago from cancer. It was only a couple months from the time we had to take her to the hospital to when she paased away. 

Some people may think its terrible that I say it was good she went so quick, but from my viewpoint, she suffered very little, which is good.

I hope the best for you and them.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Praying for them 
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My prayers are with him and his family. May Gods will be done.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    Thank you fellas

I recognize death is a path which all of us will have to journey on; I just hope I am ready when it is my time.

I know Keith is sad for his wife and kids, but he seems the type of guy that is ready.

-J
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Always a sad thing when losing a friend or relative.  

When my dad got cancer it hit us all pretty hard.  Less than a year from diagnosis to death.  My step-mother is still having a very hard time of it 3 years later.  Next from her, my son had it the hardest.  He lost his hero.

Will be hoping for your friend to make a recovery, or at the very least, to go with as little pain as possible.  Please offer him my best wishes and his family my deepest sympathy.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers in route 
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prayers coming. 
    Cancer is a terrible disease. I'm coming up on 4 years since my dad lost his battle. It was 8 months from the time of diagnosis to when he passed.
  • Options
    Thank you fellas
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, way too young for him and his family to go through this.  They have come a long way treating cancer but early detection is very important.  Lost a younger cousin and a friend to lung cancer just last summer, just sad.  Thoughts and prayers,
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad to hear, Jay. Will be praying for Keith and his family. 
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Thank you guys
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The majority of my clients have cancer and it's difficult getting to know them and saying goodbye so quickly.
  • Options
    Jim, I reckon I might understand ya a wee bit more. Take care of your friends and family, your tribe, sew a little kindness because life is short.

Cancer sucks
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Thank you for the prayers, guys

Quick update, my neighbor passed yesterday. 

If you fellas don't mind sending a prayer or two for his family, I sure would appreciate it. I worry the most about his wife and kids.

They're church goers, and have family so infrastructure is there for them, but it'll never fill the hole in their hearts of a father who has gone to the other side.

-Jay
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the update, Jay.  Prayers will continue.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    **** you cancer. **** you **** you **** you. 

Prayers for for this family. 
  • Options
    Prayers being sent...
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In route.. Sorry to hear. 
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    my next door neighbor, good dude, in the Huntsman Cancer Institute with days to live. He fell down at work last week, back pain, rushed to hospital and they found the stage four lung cancer (non smoker).

He is 40-ish, like me. 

I just learned of it from his wife as I was soaking up some rays on my porch Sunday morning and she pulled up in their van. One of those things you never expect to happen, not to a young healthy fella with four kids and years ahead of him.

He and I were supposed to mend the fence between our back yards this spring.

Have had some good conversation with my kids during this rough time. They don't remember my stepdad going through his cancer and dying; it is tough on them as it is happening to a neighbor they saw every day for the last two years. 

My neighbors children, needless to say, are in shock, we are in shock, and we are praying for them. 

Tough situation, all around. Wanted to write a few words down here to help me organize my thoughts. I am a firm believer in prayer, if any of you FOTL (Family of the leaf) feel so inclined, would you mind praying for Keith and his family?

sorry to hear the news. My sincerest prayers for your neighbor and his family. F$&@ cancer!
  • Options
    Sorry to hear the news. Praying for his family. 
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the news this morning that a friend of ours passed away last night  :'( She beat breast cancer many years ago, and then was hit with brain cancer. She had been fighting it for the last couple of years. There were times where it looked like she was going to beat it, but then it seemed to just go downhill. We will really miss her, she was a very very nice lady and loved my little boy. I feel very sad for her husband, I know these last couple of years have been very hard on him. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    :( sorry to hear that news, @Edna20

Sending prayers for your friend
  • Options
    Ditto, Kelly. Sorry for this sad news. Prayers for you and her family.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
     :'( 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Sorry to hear this Kelly. Sending prayers. 
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, seems like a lot of us here are having to go through some of these same things to varying degrees :( 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and my wife have been dealing with this for over a year. Just before Thanksgiving in 2014 my mother in law was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She had a major surgery and underwent chemo and radiation for months. When she was done she showed no signs of the disease. In January of this year she started feeling pain again and tests showed it had come back. She is battling through chemo again and it's hard to see her fight this fight again. My wife is back in school Monday through Friday and working 12 hour shifts on weekends and having to go through this all over again is a big burden on her. It's a terrible disease that shows no mercy. **** you Cancer

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss Kelly.  And you're right about cancer affecting so many here on the forum.  I hope we're still aggressively looking for cures.