Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Damn you Furnace

avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well my furnace took a $hit today.  Getting a new one tomorrow and also putting in a new A/C unit since that was on its way out.  Not exactly the time of year I want to replace a furnace or the unexpected cost but what are you going to do?

On that note I am going with a Rheem Modulating furnace.  I have never heard of these until now.  Supposed to be super efficient and it modulated up and down from a 40% load to 100% to meet the demands.  I figured with a new smart thermostat I should be cutting my utility bill down substantially.
Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

Comments

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    My ex gf's dad was in ac/heating and wouldn't install nothing but rheem. Claimed they was best on the market, hated trane. . 

My place has a Rheem that looks like it came over on the mayflower but works great..
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sucks, but sounds like you'll end up making the $ back in the long run. 

And if you haven't looked into it already, see if you can get a tax credit for it: https://www.energystar.gov/about/federal_tax_credits

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    I had a Bryant that was put in back in 1990 so it has served its purpose.  The company that I do all my business with and that I refer people to when they need repairs in their house carries Goodman and Rheem. I am getting a killer deal on this Rheem that I can't go wrong.  
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Yeah it is Energy Star Certified and there is a $125 rebate on it on top of the great deal I am getting.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    Yeah it is Energy Star Certified and there is a $125 rebate on it on top of the great deal I am getting.
    Nice!

• Options
    Its $4,800 installed for furnace and a/c.  It normally would have been about $6,000.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good price you got there, I'm going to be doing the same thing soon I think.  My boiler is 30 years old now and on borrowed time but I'm running it until it goes.  
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure this is more expensive but in the long run it would pay off since it would last twice as long as a furnace! It would be to get a boiler with a hydronic coil. The coil sits on top of the air handler just like a ac coil. Boilers are cast iron and furnaces are steel...
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    New one is going in now. Can't wait to have heat again. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    are you getting a programmable thermostat with it too? 
    they're pretty awesome.

• Options
    Yeah I am.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Nest on my Trane system and I like it. Seen tons of problems with New Trane units in our subdivision. I'll have to keep this Rheem in mind if we have to replace ours. We moved in and had to put a new furnace motor in but the house sat neglected for over a year so I wasn't surprised the motor was locking up. Air filter hadn't been change in over a year.