Home Non Cigar Related

jackassinthebox

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scary, isn't it? 

I've been hopeful that Kasich would catch on, was starting to warm up to Jeb, and think Carson is a really nice and really smart guy who is probably way too naive and honest for the job.  Sigh...

On the other side we've got an idealist who I'm fairly sure can't manage the country, and King Ahab's wife in her prime.  Sigh...

And I don't even hear a peep from the Libertarians this cycle, presumably because Cruz is in the mix?

Sigh...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every time you think there couldn't be worse alternatives.... You get worse alternatives.

I believe we could do better with a phone book, a blindfold, and a dart.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Carson needs to claim he had an affair with some of his nurses or something to get traction.. Odviously voicing the government is of the people for the people 10 times more then all others combined, how great the constitution is and not micro managing troops isn't working. Guy is nowhere near corrupt enough to lead the country.

I'd say maybe if he claimed he would put that unamerican ATM machine that Obama claimed Bush abused next to his bed and play it like a video game he could get traction but thats already been done..

Sadly if Obama was allowed to run again I believe he would win.. 
    Post edited by kswildcat on
    edited March 2016
    kswildcat said:

Sadly if Obama was allowed to run again I believe he would win.. 

Worked for FDR. Twelve years of spendthrift depression culminating in war... yet he's a hero to faithful donkeys to this day.

A phonebook and a dart, I tell ya.

Obama is not gone yet.. Nothing would amaze me at this point.. 

@webmost 16 would be good with me. Seriously what could you screw up? Lol
    Just talked to a guy wearing a Trump hat.. Um yeah, anyways first time seeing hat in person. Dude can't even put out a decent looking hat and he wants to run the country. Would be comical if it wasn't so scary.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way I want to see Obama run is if it's in the middle of highway traffic blindfolded 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it's like this, kiddies. I've been of legal voting age longer than any of you and I can tell ya for a fact that no matter who's running or in what year/era it may be, you've only ever got or had a choice of the lesser of two evils. 

So, to simplify things for ya, just ask yourself which candidate can fvck up the country the worst and then vote for the other guy. In all these years there hasn't yet been a clear and obvious choice of candidates. One or two have come close but were still less than perfect. 

Its always the lesser of two evils.....  B)
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I don't even hear a peep from the Libertarians this cycle, presumably because Cruz is in the mix?

Sigh...
    I think most of us know we're a bit fooked. I am sad Paul bowed out so soon, but then again, he does have his Senator duties to attend to.

The candidates from this presidential election  cycle flat out stink
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny, but the problem we have is always going to be the poilitcal mindset that they know what's best for the "working man" or "taxpayer".
    I've seen this many times in govt, where they (poloticians, govt managers and that) get it in their head that it is their money they are dealing with and not the taxpayer's money, so they will do as they please with it.

I have never seen a politician who would even consider what a taxpayer had to say, let alone was really concerned about making the public happy.
    There may be some politicians who genuinely care, but I haven't seen them.

It's a monopoly game to them. I'll give in on this bill, if you include this or that, in exchange, you give in on this bill. 
    How many politicians do you think have actually read a complete bill, besides the one writing it? 
    I'd be willing to bet that more taxpayers have read complete bills than politicians voting on them and that is sad.

The problem is, I agree on some points with all of those running, but then they go and open their mouth on something and your mind says, "Oh man, is that really his stance? What a shame, he had a lot going for him."

Kind of agree with Marty, the lesser of 2 evils.
    But then again, I haven't figured out yet how Obama got elected.
    Half the nation had never heard of him until 6 months before he started running for President. And if you put it into statistical information, the odds were so heavily stacked against him that even the guys who were using algorithms to predict who would be elected threw up their hands and went, "WTF?"

I hate discussing politics, because emotions tend to get in the way when talking to anyone about it. But when you start looking at numbers and the numbers don't seem to make sense, all you can do is scratch your head.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Opatience nailed it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Okay,  being the looney liberal here, I wouldn't vote for Trump for all the value of his numerous bankruptcy filings. 

But I did read his "health care reform" proposal with an open mind, and there are a couple ideas I agree with, such as allowing national health care providers to operate across state lines, allow tariff-free importation of FDA-approved drugs from overseas and providing greater tax benefits for Health Savings Accounts, which are designed to cover out of pocket health care expenses like deductibles, co pays and prescription drugs. 
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See, you're not that looney after all, @raisindot
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raisindot said:
    Okay,  being the looney liberal here, I wouldn't vote for Trump for all the value of his numerous bankruptcy filings. 

But I did read his "health care reform" proposal with an open mind, and there are a couple ideas I agree with, such as allowing national health care providers to operate across state lines, allow tariff-free importation of FDA-approved drugs from overseas and providing greater tax benefits for Health Savings Accounts, which are designed to cover out of pocket health care expenses like deductibles, co pays and prescription drugs. 
    Too bad big Pharma owns so many Congress-critters, I don't see tariff-free importation passing, even if The Donald could get elected. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Trump believes in single payer  as well.. Obama care  is bad enuff we don't need Trump care.. He has some good ideas how to theoriticly get health care cost down but you mandate Healthcare and subsidize people's health care by further raping higher earners and the cost goes up just like it did with Obama care. Not only can the larger insurance companies set rates to offset their losses (the not in business to lose money) smaller companies cannot compete.

Now if you open it up were insurance companies can cross state lines cost SHOULD go down. But you cannot continue raping the earners to subsidize the non earners. Sure they like to say millions now have insurance but they do not even make a peep on the millions of those who either pay double or no longer have health insurance because they no longer can afford it.

Trump is a liberal. Get him talking about immigration and Disney and you will see his true colors.. Talks a big game but sure funny how he "legally" brings in workers and not hired Americans because they were not qualified to be waitresses, cooks or janitorial.  Guy is a con man and has a lot off people con'd 

Too bad big Pharma owns so many Congress-critters, I don't see tariff-free importation passing, even if The Donald could get elected. 
    Lobbyists and special interests are destroying the nation..
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while ago 60 minutes interviewed the leader of the wealthiest lobby group in D.C. He admitted that it does not matter who is in the oval office, his group controls the money and tells the politicians how to vote. An interesting interview but also very sad.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    They are truly the ones running the country..

I use to like arguing with my ex boss. Big farmer/rancher and he would be fighting a small engine to get it to run. Cussing it and all frustrated I'd tell him that's what his government subsidized ethonal does for ya.. He would just glare at me with a red face but dare not to argue because he knew it was the truth.

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading about the debate last night, I have never been more convinced that Trump is a plant by the Dems to assure a victory. 
    After reading about the debate last night, I have never been more convinced that Trump is a plant by the Dems to assure a victory. 
    I dunno that he's a plant by the dems, so much as he has been showered with ALL the media attention (which media loves a train wreck anyways) to ensure that you will never hear any substantive ideas from, for example, Ben Carson. Trump's a smoke screen and a reality show all in one stroke.

A genius idea, really. Way better idea even than a series in which an attractive white outwardly female secretary of state heroically saves the world from chaos once a week.

Media playing nice at the moment.  Let him win the primary and they will take the gloves off in the general and humiliate him (which is easily done). 
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kswildcat said:
    Media playing nice at the moment.  Let him win the primary and they will take the gloves off in the general and humiliate him (which is easily done). 
    I've been wondering if this was intentional. Not an organized conspiracy but a favorable (for them) situation where the media can and will influence the presidential election with their own bias. Aside from the minority of conservative media outlets, most of the people in the media business personally supports Clinton even if they have to hold their nose to do it. And, they go easy on her. They may be hopeful that a freakish candidate like trump is nominated to oppose her. It would make things fun and easy for them.  
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I don't know if, now that it's in motion, that the media can derail the Trump Train before it comes into the station.  It's a scary thought.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    You have some real kool-aid drinkers out there supporting him. They bit on that self funding bait and swallowed the hook. Media will eat him for lunch if he wins primary.