Home General Discussion
Options

Greetings from a Newbie who is now afflicted with this costly hobby.

EssPee2uEssPee2u Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
Greetings all,

I was smoking cigars once in a blue moon since the mid 90's - random sticks not knowing what the heck I was smoking, but as of the last two years have really gotten into full swing with this hobby.  Made the usual Newb mistake of getting a small humidor not realizing that my money would soon be fleeing my pockets in a quest of catching all the great deals available on the internet.  Some of my favorites thus far are:

Gurkha Ghost
Liga Privada Undercrown
Alec Bradley Prensado
Opus X
Rocky Patel Vintage 1990

I have been coming to this site for over a year now and have been lurking and learning from all you fine Gentlemen.  Just wanted to say thank you on behalf of all those that lurk & learn from you, and looking forward to chatting with you all.

Keep it Smokey
Keep it Smokey

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. 

IMO it's not about the great deal, it's about patience for the right great deal. My best advice to anyone new   (budget permitting) is to watch the what you smoking threads and see what some of the vets are smoking. Usually if they come across something they don't like they make a point letting it known. Make a list then search sampler packs containing mostly sticks on your list. I personally stay away from samplers unless all but 1 or 2 are on my list.
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard, @EssPee2u! We seem to have similar taste, with the exception of Gurkha and RP. :)  I agree with kswildcat's comments. Always good to guage what the vets are smoking. Although in the final analysis it comes down to finding the sticks that YOU enjoy. Jump in on the discussions and get to know these awesome BOTLs and SOTLs. This place is too awesome to observe as a spectator.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome
  • Options
    I agree with all of you, the deals I catch are usually for sticks I have been wanting for some time, I don't buy anything without lots of research - not just random deals that seem like a good price.  For example CCOm recently had that deal on the La Historia E-III's box of 10, so I grabbed a couple of those - smoked one and really liked the way it mellowed out after the 1st third, looking to age the rest for a while.  Just got a 400-500t Chest Humidor and 1.5lbs of 65% Heartfelt Beads to throw some boxes and a few loose sticks I want to age.  Like I said I have been lurking for a while and used much of that knowledge gained in my purchases - so actually its all you guys fault - thanks I will blame ya'll when the Wife starts to question my hobby!!!
    Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @EssPee2u have you signed up for the newsletter!
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, EssPee2u.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Thank for the greetings/welcomes.  @reggie713 I have not signed up for it??? But i do read it.
    Keep it Smokey
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum. Newsletter has some great info. Definately worth signing up for.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Welcome to the forum. Hopefully you stick around and share your knowledge with the rest of us. 
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, pm me your addy, and I'll send out the latest one
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Welcome @EssPee2u
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice so far.  I know what I like and I wait until they are on sale or part of a sampler.  Sometimes, the discounted sticks are good to try something different and expand your horizons a little.

Welcome aboard, and you are correct, cigars are not an addiction, they are a hobby, an addicting hobby!
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum EssPee2u 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What whisky threads?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    What whisky threads?

I'm sorry, but I will not take responsibility for corrupting a noob.

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will teach you the ways of the steel
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Yes lurking is good but getting to know people is much more enjoyable. If you think your bad not just wait to see what you've accumulated in a couple years! Ps don't chase deals...find stuff you know your probably gonna like in the long run and get a handful. After a few years you will see your taste has changed
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Thank you all - I am a single malt fan for the most part.  Glenlivet French Oak Reserve, Hedonism, Oban, McCallan - you know the drill.  Bourbons not as much I do have a Woodbridge in the bar, oh and I'm a big fan of Remy Martin 1738.  There are a few blended ones that are nice - right now I have been partial to Monkey Shoulder.  Then there are the pipes & tobacco collection.  I don't know how she tolerates my habits lol.

Keep it Smokey