Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What would you do?

genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
Need some advice. To make a very long story short, I am in business with family. My wife and I have been planning a long weekend get away for a few months now. One of my family members may have to take off unexpectedly the same two days that I have to. He and I are the only ones there that can finalize a sale so if we are both off we could stay open but no sales. He would have no option but to take off(funeral) . The two family members expect me to cancel my plans. What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't cancel just postpone. I would imagine a funeral would be tough to postpone
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    That's a pickle.. To me both are important.  Odviously you WOULD take the high road and cancel even though it is not right. Appears to me lopsided respect for personal time.

I assume by "finalizing a sale" means large purchases like a bike. I as a customer would understand  and be willing  to wait (like to think most would).

I don't run a business, it's prolly a good thing.

• Options
    Its really not about the trip but more about what is important. Maybe I am just being selfish but is business more important than happiness. I know he would have to attend the funeral and would expect him to. To postpone the trip it would be this time next year for us to do it again and it is not refundable. I think either way I am f@&ked. 
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ***Closed due to unexpected family emergency*** sign. Your customers will come back later.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    My only experience with anything remotely close is my time turning wrenches and sale of tires in a small town coop shop. 3 of us worked there and shared duties. We all knew or jobs so general manager seen no need for shop lead.
     Of the very few times I took time off if 1 of my people came in for service, repair or tires they always waited  even tho other guys were capable.

Apples to oranges I know. ..

Sorry to read this bro

No good advice here 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't someone write the sale, and wait 'til you're back to close and deliver?  I guess I would take the time off (even though it might be hard to relax and enjoy it because of the shop stuff in the back of your mind) and realize even if some money's left on the table, you have taken care of your wife's and your mental health.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were something other than a funeral, I would make them postpone, but since it is a funeral, I would postpone my time for them to take care of things.

That being said, I would make a point of letting them know that if it were any other circumstance, they would rearrange their plans.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    peter4jc said:
    Can't someone write the sale, and wait 'til you're back to close and deliver?  I guess I would take the time off (even though it might be hard to relax and enjoy it because of the shop stuff in the back of your mind) and realize even if some money's left on the table, you have taken care of your wife's and your mental health.
    Someone could do that but the other family members don't like that. My wife really wants to go but will support any decision. I am running a marathon in each state and this would be number 20. I was supposed to do one in the state back in November but I broke my ankle two days before the race so we have to cancel then and if we have to cancel this time I think God is telling me something. 
  • Options
    I worked with family for quite a few years when I was younger.
    My family had commercial fishing vessels in Alaska and I was expected to be there to make sure things ran smoothly and keep the crews in line and working.

Once, I had made plans to be somewhere and my brother made plans later for those same 2 weeks. I left anyways and dealt with the whining afterwards.

Sometimes, you have to put your family (wife and children) first before work and other family. 

It's a tough call, but if you've had these plans for some time, then they should be the ones to figure it out, not you.

Just my opinion.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    That talk of marathons made me wore out. Run in KS let me know. I will take time off an ride beside you for support.  To old and fat to be running. I can carry fluids to keep ya hydrated and I have a hot shot for motivation lol
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd stick with your plans, since you've already had to cancel once and if you cancel this time it's non-refundable. How many potential sales need to be closed in a weekend? Let them write up any sales for delivery when you return. Sometimes you have to look out for yourself too. I know this, because I'm always the one who sets my own plans aside to accommodate everyone else.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your ankle fully healed? Maybe you are being given a message to give it more time.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be selfish (meaning don't think about work) and take the time off. Family time and mental health are more meaningful and important  than the sales that will potentially be missed.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ***Closed due to unexpected family emergency*** sign. Your customers will come back later.
    This
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    This
    Yep, happy  wife, happy life. 
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
     I would agree with those that say to close up for the weekend, come back refreshed, ready and well f@&ked.  Like you said, getting f@&ked either way.  If it's a sure sale I'm sure they will understand and wait a few days.  If not, then you lost nothing in the long run.  But then I have no idea what you do and your customers.  More money can be made, potentially, but time once spent cannot be replaced.  
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I, too, think you should just hang the sign in the window and go. There are times when one just has to think of one's self first - this is one of those times. 

Just take a deep breath, yell "FTW", and go....   B)
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Have your family member hang the sign, you've taken the time off and if they feel that they need to attend the funeral than they should make the arrangements to either have someone there that can close sales or just close up shop for the weekend.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    We continue to pray for the family, the fellow keeps hanging on. I was out voted by the co-owners. Guess not much I can do. My simple life view is not what theirs is but I always knew that. Not saying I am right just different then they are. This guys is a fighter so may still be able to go on the trip?
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait, is this funeral being planned before he dies?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Yikes.... I get the pre-purchase casket and all, but planning the day while still alive? 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I'd freak them out and tell them I was offered a job at a competitor's business and thinking seriously about taking it. If they say "See ya", then you might want to reconsider the "family" business.

But then again, in my family, I don't put up with their crap.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Wylaff said:
    Wait, is this funeral being planned before he dies?

He has been given last rights and his family is planning on it being this week as are the Doctors. I know, only God knows when but this is what there are thinking.
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Being in a family business, I feel your pain! Luckily, when my father transferred everything to us 3 kids, he knew someone had to be in charge! Didn't make the last 40 years any easier, but I had the final say in all of it. Even if my sisters ganged up against me, I had 60 %. That being said, I can't tell you how many vacations got cancelled! I stopped making plans for summer vacations when the kids were younger, but always had February off. And still do. We still get along pretty well. Working with family is difficult! Personally, I like the idea of a sign, family emergency. But I also realize I had the most to lose if everything went south, so I generally put of business first.