Home General Discussion

Butane, oh lovely butane!

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
I don't have one of those fancy torches so many of you have. Just a Ronson Jetlite, but scored this in my local HEB today.  A small thing, but for a nube...scratching the itch.

I normally have the guys at my former B&M give me courtesy refills on butane, but will checking out of line in my local grocer and I noticed this little gem and priced just right ($2.25 tax included) .  Only bottle left (1.48 oz), but a good simple addition to my growing stockpile of cigar accessories. Will hold in reserve on those time I don't want to make the 17 minute drive.

Hey, I'm a newb. Small steps, small victories...also I'm cheap.
The secret word is cigars! 
Post edited by GrouchoM on

Comments

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I'm cheaper.. I use free matches.. 

If I had 1 them fancy lighters I'd just lose it, so not much sense in having one.. Usually cannot find my debit card or license once a week.
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    same when I started out, then read about Ronson Jetlite. The torch so cheap and reliable you wont mind losing it. But, yup free matches still get the job done, I'm still getting the lighting, holding after striking down to where its smoother.

But, I here you on the rest. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Have you done the modification on your jetlite?  It's not only easy it sure makes the lighter more pleasant to use. Click the link:

http://youtu.be/VT9inGkgXm0
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    No, but I will asap. Man that's freaking amazing. I love little known modifications that increase the output efficiency and value of my purchases.

I'm over the moon with your post.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Only use quality fluids! I'm a vector fan since it has some propane in it to help in the cold weather. But really cheap butane will end a lighter quickly!
    Money can't buy taste
    Only use quality fluids! I'm a vector fan since it has some propane in it to help in the cold weather. But really cheap butane will end a lighter quickly!
    Right on!  I've finally switched to Xikar fuel because I received a great Xikar lighter for Christmas but prior to that I used only fuel that had been refined multiple times. The more times it's been refined, the more crap and debris gets cleaned out of the fuel so it's not there to clog up your lighter. The last fuel ( I don't remember the brand) had been refined 14 times. 
    GrouchoM said:
    No, but I will asap. Man that's freaking amazing. I love little known modifications that increase the output efficiency and value of my purchases.

I'm over the moon with your post.
    I'm happy that you're happy...   :D

after doing this mod you'll find that your thumb doesn't need to be nearly as strong as before....   B)
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't the Zippo one of the better brands?
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    Well, opinions are like @ssholes - everybody's got one. In this case, I think the Jetlite far outperforms the Zippo and I think the Jetlite is cheaper, too... :p
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Yakster said:
     Zippo butane is not a brand I would buy again. It works fine in one of my lighters but not in another. I use the Xikar purofine and have had better results. There was another thread about this and I don't believe the Zippo got high marks.
    Post edited by CharlieHeis on
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    ...of lighters?  OK.  

Of butane?  NO!

I'm having good luck with Lucienne, Zippo butane has been nothing but trouble for me, even in my Zippo lighter. 

Just my experience. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, good to know. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )