Home General Discussion

Should the mods un-sticky the NEWBIE TRADING THREAD?

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in General Discussion
 I love the "Discussions" tab at the top of the page. Super easy way to catch up on the latest posts without the need to click on each category. Awesome!
HOWEVER! 

I HATE the way threads that the mods have stickeyd don't show up if you click on discussions tab. So F##kin' annoying because it doesn't even make sense. 

I just posted in the newbie trading thread this morning. Because it is a STICKEY thread it GETS STUCK to the "TPB" section and for SOME stupid reason cannot be viewed under "RECENT DISCUSSIONS"! 

I don't want to check every section for new posts. That's supposed to be what the "Discussions" tab is for. It's a shortcut but you don't end up seeing ALL the recent posts. 

Am I wrong about this?  

I'm not mad! I'm annoyed.

Should the mods un-sticky the NEWBIE TRADING THREAD? 12 votes

Yes
16%
jarublaskydiverD 2 votes
No
83%
jgibv[Deleted User]0patienceonestrangeoneCharlieHeisavengethisUsaf06NolagizmoWaterNerdYakster 10 votes

Comments

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    NO!!!

keep the "newbie" threads stickied at the top so new folks can easily find them.

come on bob, do you know how many years of complaining it took before we finally got stickies? 
    and now you wanna do away with 'em?!??? 

SMH

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    NO!!!

keep the "newbie" threads stickied at the top so new folks can easily find them.

come on bob, do you know how many years of complaining it took before we finally got stickies? 

SMH
    Just the one.

I see your point but, it would be easier to find that thread (and all threads for that matter)  under recent discussions tab. 
    No
    Bob_Luken said:
    jgibv said:
    NO!!!

SMH
    Just the one.

I see your point but, it would be easier to find that thread (and all threads for that matter)  under recent discussions tab. 

disagree (yes i gave you disagree badge click too lol)

ok, that might make it easier for you....but would that make it easier for the new people? 

since those threads are aimed towards the new people, think about what would be easier for them?  at least that's how i look at it.

jgibv said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    jgibv said:
    NO!!!

SMH
    Just the one.

disagree (yes i gave you disagree badge click too lol)

ok, that might make it easier for you....but would that make it easier for the new people? 

since those threads are aimed towards the new people, think about what would be easier for them?  at least that's how i look at it.
    Exactly HOW is it easier for them to necessarily find the TPB first in order to see the thread vs checking recent posts and seeing it pop up there? 
    edited March 2016
    No
    Bob_Luken said:

Exactly HOW is it easier for them to necessarily find the TPB first in order to see the thread vs checking recent posts and seeing it pop up there? 
    Well, I'm assuming that new folks are clicking through the various sections to see what each one is about.  And when they click through those they'd immediately see the stickied threads at the top (since most other forums are set up this way).....

And since "recent discussions" shows just that, there's no guarantee the "newbie" threads will appear there when the new folks check the "recent discussions" tab. 

but wtf do i know.....

jgibv said:
    Bob_Luken said:

Well, I'm assuming that new folks are clicking through the various sections to see what each one is about.  And when they click through those they'd immediately see the stickied threads at the top (since most other forums are set up this way).....

And since "recent discussions" shows just that, there's no guarantee the "newbie" threads will appear there when the new folks check the "recent discussions" tab. 

but wtf do i know.....
    Conversly, there's no guarantee that once they find the recent discussions tab that they'd bother to take the additional time to check each section.

but wtf do i know..... LOL

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Maybe I'm the minority but I dont use the discussion tab so having stickies for me is a +
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We want people on day one to find those threads and read them. Not 2 months later when someone bumps it and it finally shows up on their discussion page. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    No
    Bob_Luken said:

Conversly, there's no guarantee that once they find the recent discussions tab that they'd bother to take the additional time to check each section.

but wtf do i know..... LOL

LOL ok.

but which would you be more likely to click, as a new person starting out.....

one of the big freaking links in the center of the screen (highlighted in red).....
    or the little tiny recent discussions tab (highlighted in orange).....

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm the minority but I dont use the discussion tab so having stickies for me is a +
    I didn't even realize there was a tab.. I've always clicked on the red ones.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I guess I'm not the only one that doesn't use the discussion tab.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I use the discussion tab, but new folks coming to the forum will see the discussion, even if the use the discussion tag, because they haven't read it. So my vote was to keep it sticky.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Some of the confusion may be that when you log into the forum and click on Discussions on the header between Categories and Activity that this also takes you to the Recent Discussions page and not a list of all the sub-forums.

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    No, it should stay 'as is' 
    I don't use the discussion tab either. I Like flipping through and seeing what's going on. 
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it matters one way or another, I figured it out all by myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    No
    It should stay as a sticky so it's easily found by new members vs someone having to bump it every day or two.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a newbie, I found it in the big red tabs, now I use the recent discussion tab
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I have no idea what you are talking about but I disagree just to disagree. Seems like there is a lot of manucha about nothing. Smoke a cigar and relax! if uwant t ich aout mthing bth ot ymy ice  **** lckberry lks ehis nhough ihit e essay ky nhis 'n pone  fccom and bckberry sit! That's what my piece of ship blackberry spelled out unchecked. And I hit every necessary key. It just didn't replicate it. F'd up.
    edited March 2016
    Well, I guess I'm almost the only one that wants to try it un-sticky-ed. No problem. But, can anyone tell me WHY the sticky threads with recent posts in them don't show up when you click the "discussions" tab? The "discussions" tab is supposed to list all threads with recent activity isn't it but, it doesn't if the recent activity happens to be in a sticky-ed thread. No, it's not a big deal but, ya gotta admit that that's a flaw in the new forum unless there's a good reason for it. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    Bob_Luken said:
     No, it's not a big deal but, ya gotta admit that that's a flaw in the new forum unless there's a good reason for it. 
    I agree that it should show up.
    It is a flaw and it's probably a setting that got overlooked.
    It shouldn't matter if it is a sticky or not, if there is a post to it, it should show on the recent discussions.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the more productive thing would be to attempt to get it straightened out so that all new posts show up in the Recent Discussions tab.

Sorry, going with the majority on this issue.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote we make Tony @0patience the site administrator...  he'd get this place whipped into shape.  Yes, he would.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a relatively noob here, I liked the newbie welcome thread at the top of the page. No searching through pages to find it, and made it seem like posting there first was the correct thing to do. Also makes it easier to invite noobs to the "newsletter".
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Yes
    I agree with ya Bob.  I exclusively use the recent discussions tab cuz I'm lazy.  I honestly hadn't realized that I wasn't even seeing the newbie welcome or trade thread until this post.  LOL. Wish they could permanently stick it in the top of recent discussions.  I feel bad now that I haven't posted any welcomes in a long while....   :'( 

edit - I realize now the welcome thread is not stickied. Jeez, I'm a bad bad man.....
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
    skydiverD said:
    I agree with ya Bob.  I exclusively use the recent discussions tab cuz I'm lazy.  I honestly hadn't realized that I wasn't even seeing the newbie welcome or trade thread until this post. 
    I was looking at the problem from exactly this angle. I assumed that most people navigated the forum in this manner and as Darrin's experience relates, those that do it this way don't see the sticky-ed threads. Now, after hearing everyone else's input, I see that we are all skinning cats in different ways.