Home Non Cigar Related
Options

How many shooters are there here on CCOM?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'em. Divested much of my collection to help fund a move some years back; need to replace them, just been busy.

This little beauty caught my eye the other day:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/sig516-carbon.aspx
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have two rifles, FN SCAR-L 5.56 and the Barrett M82.

With those two rifles you don't need much else, except maybe something for Elk.  Love that Barrett.  If I ever hit the lotto, that's my first gun purchase.  

That Sig Carbon AR looks like it'd make a good truck gun.

I guess there are plenty of shooters here.

Cigars, "Bum Of The Week", guns.... My kinda place.  I think I'm going to like it here.   ;)

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    dol74dol74 Posts: 11
    doesn't care for the G27? Isn't that what you have? If so I must correct you I enjoy shooting that one very much. As a matter of fact it was my carry piece of choice in Wyoming. The issue is in how I carry it, in Wyoming I could open carry where as here it's concealed carry only. On my frame it is almost impossible to conceal it regardless of what I wear so that pretty much rules it out as a carry piece for me here. Ideally I'd like to find a slimmer profile .40 or .45 that I like and doesn't print as much but I may have to settle for a nine in order to actually conceal.  :neutral: 
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ShawnOL said:
    That G43 sure looks a lot thinner than the G27/26 frame.  Might make for more comfort in the wife's hand.  She really liked the Colt Mustang but those are a bit scarce around these parts and finding one that will shoot reliably is even harder to find.   Also, that Remington mini-1911 .380 looks very interesting.  Then again, Every 1911 is interesting.

Did you carry the .45 in an IWB or OWB?
    The G43 and G42 are slimmer because they are single stack subcompacts. The G26 (9mm) and G27 (.40) are double stack subcompacts. I conceal both an XDS .45, full size sig 1911 and G19 on the regular. I am 6' and 240. The key is a good quality holster and an actual Gun belt. Not just a leather belt. You need a belt that is designed to carry the weight of the gun and provide support.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    DOL74, I thought the shape of it hurt your hands.  Maybe the G43 @Avengethis mentioned would work better.  Then again, a compact 1911 in Aluminum might work well too.

MikeTodd, Single-stack is definitely much slimmer.  A good belt is absolutely a must.  I made my belt out of 9-10oz leather, the same as my holsters.  Great for a holster, maybe even too thick.  The belt could probably use a kydex support liner but it sure seems pretty stiff while wearing it.  Never owned an actual commercially made gun belt.  Maybe I'll try 2 layers of 6oz leather with kydex in between on my next belt.  Have to finish up the current belt I'm working in before I get shot.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I shoot. I shoot trap and handguns mostly as well as plinking with my .22 rifle. I have a couple nice ourdoor ranges but in the cold there is a really nice indoor range not far from me. I have a Sig P320 9mm, Glock 42 .380, Taurus PT111 G2 9mm and a Springfield 1911 .45. I have a a fair amount of shotguns as well for hunting and trap as well as a few rifles for deer hunting. I need to get into the AR seen for shooting but the wife doesn't get why I would "need" one.
    Does she shoot? If she does then take her to the range and let her shoot one for a day with reaction targets ( gongs, soda cans and bowling pins are my favorite) and by the end of the day she might not get the "need" but she will sure as heck have had so much fun that she will understand the want. It is my favorite rifle to shoot! Accurate and easy on the shoulder. Also aside from a shot gun it's probably in my opinion the best rifle for home defense for those same reasons, as a woman I find it much easier to handle and control for that type of situation, it would be the one I grab first if I had to defend my home. (there's your "need") :smiley: 
  • Options
    ShawnOL said:
    DOL74, I thought the shape of it hurt your hands.  Maybe the G43 @Avengethis mentioned would work better.  Then again, a compact 1911 in Aluminum might work well too.

MikeTodd, Single-stack is definitely much slimmer.  A good belt is absolutely a must.  I made my belt out of 9-10oz leather, the same as my holsters.  Great for a holster, maybe even too thick.  The belt could probably use a kydex support liner but it sure seems pretty stiff while wearing it.  Never owned an actual commercially made gun belt.  Maybe I'll try 2 layers of 6oz leather with kydex in between on my next belt.  Have to finish up the current belt I'm working in before I get shot.
    I believe you are thinking of Paul's glock, that one hurts my wrists. I would definitely be interested in checking out the g43 but here in the peoples republic I'd have to find a used one because they aren't on the list so you can't get them new. And yes you should finish that one you're working on before you get shot :wink: 
  • Options
    ShawnOL said:
    LoL. I specifically wear belts made by Daltech Force in Angola, IN. I currently have 3 and my dad and bro wear their belts as well. I have one with a stiffiner in it but it makes the belt really thick. Granted, it makes it a piece of cake to carry a full size 1911 with 2 spare mags. The next belt I get will be for training classes. I will be getting an SOE belt. 
    When I take classes I wear a chest rig with HSGI tacos that can go over a slick plate carrier if needed.

On a side note, I would love to see some of your leather work.
  • Options
    Nothing to see, really.  I think I've only made three and one had some dark stain dripped on it, which really ruined it aesthetically.  I needed a hobby and wanted a couple new holsters, kinda just happened to go together.  I can post a pic some time but it wouldn't be worth the megabytes it's printed on.  ;)

• Options
    ShawnOL said:
    Nothing to see, really.  I think I've only made three and one had some dark stain dripped on it, which really ruined it aesthetically.  I needed a hobby and wanted a couple new holsters, kinda just happened to go together.  I can post a pic some time but it wouldn't be worth the megabytes it's printed on.  ;)
    Gotcha. I've been experimenting with Kydex. So far made an OWB holster for the glock and a single AR mag carrier. Next up is double pistol mags and figuring out how to do a modular setup.
  • Options
    Bat-mastersonBat-masterson Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    1911 nut and AR fan.
    have a collection  of 1911s and collect  lowers have over 100 and build them when i have time, just dropped 20 lowers off to get hydro dipped in different  patterns and yes even getting that racist confederate  flag pattern on 4 of them.
  • Options
    FireRobFireRob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭
    I am by no means a big time shooter but enjoy it. 

Sunday was our wedding anny and my wife took me shopping for my first .22 hand gun. Went with the S&W MP22. Got this one mostly because it's very similar to my 9mm. Also got a second magazine and a bucket o bullets since I never owned a .22 before this I needed some ammo. So far only fired off one clip from the front porch but it felt nice. 
  • Options
    MikeTodd said:
    Gotcha. I've been experimenting with Kydex. So far made an OWB holster for the glock and a single AR mag carrier. Next up is double pistol mags and figuring out how to do a modular setup.
    I think kydex would be great for lining gun belts.  Could probably get away with two layers of 5oz leather with a kydex layer inside.

Dug out my 1st holster, 1911 iwb.  Can't find my g27 holster, I think it's at my dad's house.  Maybe one of these days I'll grab it and post a pic.  My next holster will probably be for whatever my wife decides on for an edc.  

@FireRob, .22 is by far the most enjoyable to shoot sometimes.  Playing kick-the-can can be pretty fun.

@ Bat-masterson, I thought it was murder having a single stripped lower in the safe waiting to be built.  o_0  What are your plans for them?  SBR, precision long range, 3-gun type stuff?