Home Cigar 101

old humidor

wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
i found my fathers old cigar humidor?
with a couple bottels of mystic humidifying liquid.
thats prolly around 12-14 years old?
how do i use it?
there is a humidity guage, but i dont no if it still works?
the box is still in good condition, prolly priced around 75 dollers,
my question is, how do i test both the humidifyer? and its guage?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    You'll definitely need to season the humidor, I'd recommend getting some distilled water from your grocery store and setting a small bowl in the humidor and let it set for 2-4 days. If you want to accurately test the humidity, then you'll want to think about getting a digital hygrometer as the analog style are little more than decoration by most people's accounts ( my own as well). And also probably look into a humidification source since any humidifier in that one should probably be thrown away given how old it is. Heartfelt beads are a reliable and relatively low maintenance humidity source, and you could probably get by with 2 one ounce tubes of 65% beads. I know I answered more questions than you asked, but that is probably the best way to go about getting this humidor in proper working order.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Good advice, that.
  • wmaxhamwmaxham Posts: 80
    thanks. ill take to to my cigar shop and make sure i do all that correctly. and the bottles of mystic are to ancient to work? cause there is like 4 lil bottles.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt trust em. id go with the beads. Id also clean the heck out of the humidor. im sure there is all kinds of dust on and in it. use a dry towel with no chemicals at all. maybe some canned air.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    All sound advice.