Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Semper Fi

Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
I like to consider myself a rough and crusty old Marine, but what I received in the mail toady actually put a tear in my eyes.  The wife asked me why I got so emotional after opening the box I got today.  I received a a package today from @First_Warrior. It contained a few sticks, a nub holder made from antler and the best gift ever.  I received a personalized autographed copy of his book.  Roger I did serve in The United States Marine Corps but I was never involved in any combat operations. I appreciate you calling me a warrior, but this Marine will never measure up to your bravery or level of service that you accomplished.  From one enlisted Marine to another I salute you on what you have done for the country, God and Corps.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you Rodger. 

Comments

• NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another great shot there Rodger. Well done @First_Warrior.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Rodger
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great book! You'll truly enjoy it's honest approach. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Semper Fi, Devildog.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devildog1 said:
    I like to consider myself a rough and crusty old Marine, but what I received in the mail toady actually put a tear in my eyes.  The wife asked me why I got so emotional after opening the box I got today.  I received a a package today from @First_Warrior. It contained a few sticks, a nub holder made from antler and the best gift ever.  I received a personalized autographed copy of his book.  Roger I did serve in The United States Marine Corps but I was never involved in any combat operations. I appreciate you calling me a warrior, but this Marine will never measure up to your bravery or level of service that you accomplished.  From one enlisted Marine to another I salute you on what you have done for the country, God and Corps.  From the bottom of my heart, thank you Rodger. 

Hey, @Devildog1, don't feel alone. I kinda teared up a bit just reading your post. Of course, us oldfarts are allowed to do that a litte more than the younger guys  :'(
  • HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Ditto @genareddog, ditto!
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Rodger was kind enough to offer to autograph my copy so I'm going to take him up on that offer for sure. 
    Still be honored to autograph your copy Charlie.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my copy ordered.. Thank goodness has pictures (must been thinkin  bout guys like me when putting it together).

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to order my copy this week,can't wait to dig in to this one 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rodger, you rolled up that plaid striped fecto? Outstanding work there.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Devildog1Devildog1 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @First_Warrior. Just finished reading the book. It was a great read, brought back a lot memories of the fellow Marines I was close with throughout the my 4 years in the Corps.  
    It must have been difficult to bare your inner thoughts and personal writings between you and your family for the whole world to see. 
    Your travels and accomplishments in life are things most people would never attempt to do.  I wish you would write another book about your life after the Marine Corps, I am sure you have more than enough to fill pages of another book. 
    The bravery and commitment to your fellow Marines that you exhibited in combat is what makes the proud tradition of the Corps carry on today. 

On side note I thought all they trained at Paris Island were the women Marines, we San Diego Marines are tougher, just saying. 

You were and still are an outstanding Marine.   
    Semper Fi

• kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step dad was a flight chief on a huey in Nam. To this day he still doesn't talk about it much because he has nightmares for quite awhile after. I do hope by writing your book it helped you cope. Sure it wasn't easy to do and took a lot of courage to accomplish. .  Can't wait to read it.
    Devildog1 said:
    @First_Warrior. Just finished reading the book. It was a great read, brought back a lot memories of the fellow Marines I was close with throughout the my 4 years in the Corps.  
    It must have been difficult to bare your inner thoughts and personal writings between you and your family for the whole world to see. 
    Your travels and accomplishments in life are things most people would never attempt to do.  I wish you would write another book about your life after the Marine Corps, I am sure you have more than enough to fill pages of another book. 
    The bravery and commitment to your fellow Marines that you exhibited in combat is what makes the proud tradition of the Corps carry on today. 

On side note I thought all they trained at Paris Island were the women Marines, we San Diego Marines are tougher, just saying. 

You were and still are an outstanding Marine.   
    Semper Fi

Thanks for the kind words. It took me seven years to put the manuscript together for the book. It was a labor of love and it allowed me to confront some of my demons. i was lucky enough to find a publisher through a friend. Us Parris Island Jarheads told jokes about "Hollywood" Marines while we were letting the PI  sand fleas chew on us. I know enough now that Marines are Marines and we all wear the same Eagle, Globe and Anchor.Did you know that that Luken fellar wears the same insignia as we do?  Might have to wake him up.