Home Cigar 101
Options

Heartfelt beads

2»

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would the kitty litter be like the beads, to absorb excess moisture? I am using the black ice now but looking ahead to when it needs replaced. my problem here is low moisture, the black ice provides a constant rh but not so good at absorbing excess humidity that occurs ocaisionally. outside rh went from 26 to 80 after a storm last night
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KL works just like the beads... two-way humidification.  The advantage of the beads is they come charged to the percentage you want, and with the KL you watch your hygrometer and spray some water on it until you get the humidity percentage where you want it.  But from there on out, it's the same thing... except that KL is $28 for 7lbs.

Make sure you get the unscented variety.  I can't remember the name of it, but it won't be hard to google and find it.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Esquisicat
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta be willing to tinker around with Kitty Litter. If not you're better off using Bovedas. Come to think of it, Bovedas would be the better all around choice. (And, I can't offer any advice on Heartfelt beads as I have never tried them.)
    But if you are determined to try Kitty Litter, here are the bare bones basics.

• Must be 100% silica Kitty Litter. 
    • Buy unscented. This must be verified. Wet some and sniff to be certain.
    • Test it first with your hygrometer to know your RH starting point before you add any distilled water.
    • Only spritz with distilled water from a spray bottle. Never soak. 
    Check out these threads. And ask questions if you need  to.  

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/610297/catfish-how-to-season-or-reaseason-a-humidor-using-kitty-litter-or-beads

http://forum.cigar.com/discussion/660564/good-kitty-litter-list-and-bad-kitty-litter-list-formerly-known-as-the-good-cat-litter-list-and

I won't debate if it's two-way or one-way humidification. After all I've read on the subject, I'm not really sure.  I just know it works.