Home General Discussion
Options

What is the fascination with big ring cigars?

EssPee2uEssPee2u Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
I was at an event this past weekend and it seemed like everyone must have been playing the my cigar is thicker than yours game...maybe its just me but I don't get it - yeah I know preference is key and I enjoy smaller ring gauges - 54 at the max but 48-50 is the sweet spot for me.  What do you say?
Keep it Smokey

Comments

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's more of the newer crowd that does it. Think it's cool. 56 is max for me.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can do a 60 but my preference is that 44-52 size.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost a year into my cigar career and when I started everyone was pushing the wide cigars so that's what I bought ( lot of gordos). I do like them but noticing I get a better smoke in the 50-54 range. Guess I'll keep experimenting.
  • Options
    CigarFanaticCigarFanatic Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    I find the 60 rings get my jaw sore. I lightly hold my cigar in my teeth sometimes and 60s are too big. 48-54 is my sweet spot too. Unless I am smoking a nub, I usually don't go for 60s.
    How do make this text turn upside down?
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of it goes back to pre-boutiques, where most cigar companies (that were readily available) worked to keep a consistent flavor across all the vitolas. (Think RP 10 years ago) So a larger ring cigar was just more cigar for the cost.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Corona is my favorite size...
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like cigars centered around 50, 60 and above are too big and I tried lonsdales before and wasn't impressed with the cigar but I may have to revisit the smaller rings soon. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Corona and robusto for me. 5 Vegas AAA is pushing ring guage but I like em..
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I smoked a 60 gauge Romeo & Julietta that my buddy gave me this weekend, but couldn't handle the size. He chomped down with one incisor and blew smoke out of the other side of his mouth. Tried to show me, sadly, it didn't work for me. I'm in 48-54 sweet spot.

"A man's got to know his limitations!" - Dirty Harry 
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll see some sampler, think "wow", then "oh..." as I read: Massive 60 Ring Gauge...
    :/
    Next!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60's have a lot of filler. i get more of the wrapper flavor in 44-54.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    robusto. Period. 
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything over 60 and I feel violated!
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Just dudes overcompensating to make up for lack of girth elsewhere.  :D
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Like to try lager rings of my favorites just to play around, there is a difference, especially in smoking pace.  Usually a robusto or corona is what I like.