Home General Discussion
Options

My city aka not in my back yard

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
This is for Houston based members (but would love to see if other areas can relate?)

After receiving a Vegas 5 Gold as a good recomendation for good inexpensive smoke. I thought I would definitely add this stick to my list of buys, but on further reflection I concluded that my B&M and most shops down here (Houston, TX) don't carry a lot of the reasonable priced sticks like Vegas 5 Gold and other sticks that members have recommended to me.

Just what I'm noticing, which is why I'm either feast or famine on reasonably priced good smokes, but also why I'm smoking lesser quality. So I starting to understand the draw of C bid and other online sources for a more diverse selection as well as prices

Would love any feedback from Houston based botl or stories about others who had this issue.
The secret word is cigars! 

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where in Houston?

Many moons ago I lived in La Porte, and Grandma lived in Deer Park
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    certain cigars are also based for online only, or for B&M only.  I was just in Houston and visited 2 different cigar shops, and was able to find reasonably priced cigars.  Now, these cigars were between 6 and 10 dollars and popular brands.  They did also have a clearance bin of good cigars, that were 25 for $100 at one of the B&Ms.  Sometimes it takes venturing out.  

Having the relationship with the B&M is important, and supporting locals is also a good thing to do, but don't forget, if you ever need anything, email or call CCOM.  they have always taken care of me, and most of us on here.  @Andrew_Dzikoski

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most B&Ms have house sticks as well, that are normally decent for the price
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me my B&M shop is a great place to try new cigars. They're not cheap but about 60% of the time they have what I'm looking for. When I find something I like I order a fiver or more from CCOM cause they'll be AT LEAST 50% less and can have them in a couple days. Works for me.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing I notice in most smaller areas is that the B&Ms will carry what they know. Macayuko, RyJ, Monte, Partagas and the like.

The one here in town was no different until I talked him into getting some other cigars. When the newer cigars, My father, Torano, CAO and that, sold out quickly, he still maintains the "General" cigars, but now tries to get others.

Since his shop is relatively small, he has to juggle what he can have.
    But he always keeps a box of Torano 1916 for me, as he knows I buy them every time I go in.

Bottom line is, if you get a good relationship with them, they will get you good cigars at a reasonable price. The B&M owner here knows I buy cigars online, but knows if he stocks what I want, I will buy from him.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe me I spend a lot of of money at my local B&M and will continue. I'll also drive an hour or more to others just for the experience. However 50-75% more on full boxes is where I draw the line. 
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Just buy the Vegas 5 Gold at ccom. Check the daily deal EVERY DAY eventually you will find them at A reasonable price. Buy a fecal load of them and put them in a cooler. Remember you don't pay that F'N tax and no delivery charge on daily deal.
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not in Houston buy from ccom... just sayin

"Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try to support mom & pop shops as much as I can, same sense ccom employs people also so I try to spread it around. Another bonus of supporting mom & pop is the smell walking into the humidor. If ccom can figure out how to get that smell across cell service when logged in I would never log out. Ccom sure helps to save money and is great if your local B&M is not so local or like me and have a hard time getting to them.
    One bonus thing about ccom is I don't get strange looks and watched like a hawk in fear I may fill my pockets. I haven't got thrown out of anyplace yet.  Even stranger looks when I take my haul to the register to check out. My friend says I don't quite look the type to walk into a cigar shop and drop 2 or more bills on a few cigars..lol
  • Options
    Thanks guys,

Appreciate the great responses. I consider myself better enlightened from the knowledge.

Thanks again. 
  • Options

jarubla said:
    Where in Houston?

Many moons ago I lived in La Porte, and Grandma lived in Deer Park
    North East Houston,  not far from Deer Park via HWY 610.
  • Options
    HrycajHrycaj Posts: 62 ✭✭
    @GrouchoM you keep referencing the 5vegas gold. And price. May I suggest looking for any sampler that fits your budget? I've only ever had the gold in a 5vegas pack with four other flavors. I prefer all four to the gold. Samplers, especially in the 12-20 stick range are nice because there are several of each line to try. 
  • Options
    Hrycaj said:
    @GrouchoM you keep referencing the 5vegas gold. And price. May I suggest looking for any sampler that fits your budget? I've only ever had the gold in a 5vegas pack with four other flavors. I prefer all four to the gold. Samplers, especially in the 12-20 stick range are nice because there are several of each line to try. 
    Actually I mentioned the 5 Vegas Gold, which I thought was called the Vegas 5 Gold only because it was a stick given to me by @genareddog that he offered as an example of a better smoke. But, I now have been told it's a CI exclusive, which is why I haven't seen it in my or any other B&M. So, it was my lack of brand knowledge and not knowing where to find many of the reasonable smokes members have recommended. I have a C-bid account, which I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on a purchase, but now see I may need to. Also I will check out CI, Devil and others online sellers to chk out samplers as you suggested).

Thanks.
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    C.com has some great deal on 5Vegas cigars right now. All boxes are $20 off. Or try one of the great 5Vegas samplers they offer here on C.com 
    Non Crux sed lux