Home General Discussion
Options

New Sensor Push Humi Sensor

Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
Yesterday, I received my new Sensor Push from Amazon and plopped it in my new Waxing Moon humi that just finished seasoning for 16 days.

This thing is pretty cool. The bluetooth based sensor is pretty small, just 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" x 5/8" which takes up little space in the humi. I was looking an another sensor kit, but the sensors were the size of three robustos. The sensor is all that comes in the little box.

My iPad mini acts as the interface, as would your iPhone or Android device.

You download the app from the website which takes a few seconds, open the app and touch "Add Sensor". A picture of the sensor appears on the screen and you hold up the real sensor to the screen image for a few seconds until it recognizes it. That's the complete setup.

Currently you cannot calibrate the sensor, but that will be added in a future app update. You can set alarms for temp and humidity if you want. You can have up to 8 sensors, I believe.

It's nice not to have to open the humi to check conditions and this may be the smallest of all the electronic sensors on the market. By the way, I am not associated with this company, I just like the product so far. Costs about 50 bucks.

Here's the screen on my iPad showing the status a few minutes ago.

Life is good, don't waste it.

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool!  Are you going to calibate it, just to know if it's off either up or down?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep us informed on this one.
    I'd really like to know how well it does.
    For $50, if it works as advertised, it might be worth getting it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Based on another calibrated digital humistat in the humi, it looks like mine is about 1.5% low. I'll have to wait to calibrate until they release the new version of the app. Right now I'm fine with it. I'll let it stabilize another day or two and then remove one of my Boveda packs. I'd like to keep it under 70%.
  • Options
    WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Amazing....
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pretty cool.  does the sensor run on batteries or have to be plugged into a wall outlet?

does it allow you to sync multiple sensors?  (for example: if you have more than 1 humi)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    ^^^^^ What @jgivb said. I'd like to know the answers to these as well. 

What an interesting item. I've got three humis to consider....    Hmmmm. 
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the problem with that: You don't get to lift the lid so's you can suck in a replete snootful of that wonderful aroma. What's the point of keeping a box handy if you're not gonna stick your nose in it?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Good morning guys,

The sensor uses a CR2477 battery. You can use multiple sensors (one reviewer says he has 10) and you can sync to multiple devices.

Here's their website. SensorPush

Forgot to mention that this company did something else really cool that I've never seen before. On the day of delivery. I got an email that stated "Looks like your new SensorPush is out for delivery right now. When you get it follow these simple instructions..."

Cool!
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My one concern with them is their tolerance.  Reading their technical data it can be up to 5.5% off from what it really is.  That is too much when you are talking the storage of cigars in my opinion.  If it can be calibrated I would be less concerned. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    My one concern with them is their tolerance.  Reading their technical data it can be up to 5.5% off from what it really is.  That is too much when you are talking the storage of cigars in my opinion.  If it can be calibrated I would be less concerned. 
    Valid concern, but if you look at the specs, they state that the humidity accuracy
    (@ 25°C / 77°F, from 20% - 80% RH ) is 3% typical.

They also add, "95% of sensors fall within the "typical" range. Sensors outside the "maximum" range are not qualified for sale.

Please note that above values are maximal tolerances (not including hysteresis) against a high precision reference such as a dew point mirror. Common deviations are within ±2%RH where specified tolerance is ±3%RH and about half the specified tolerance at other values."

Once they add the calibration function, I think is will be as accurate a device as one can reasonably buy for a humidor.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great thread.

One question will be, once they add calibration to the app, will you be able to use the salt test with it? 
    Being new technology, will you be able to use that or will you have to use a known good hygrometer as a comparison?
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I don't know why not. The calibration function should allow you to adjust the % shown on the display based on a salt or Boveda calibration run. No different than most calibratable humi sensors.
  • Options
    Here's a picture of the sensor in my 150 count humidor so you can see the size compared to the typical digital sensor.