Home General Discussion
Options

has anyone built their own wooden travel case?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

I was looking at wooden travel cases for cigars and was wondering if someone here has made them? It seems like a pretty simple process... but im not sure what the Do's and Dont's would be on this... Anyone have advice? the cigars wouldn't be in there for too long so being able to maintain RH wouldn't be too much of an issue. would there be negative side effects to using an exotic wood instead of cedar or should I use an exotic wood and insert cedar sleeves?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options

To give a few more details... I would be looking to make a 2 stick travel case. If I go out to have a smoke with friends I usually never smoke more than one. The other would be for sharing if someone didn't come prepared. lol 

Also as for using varnishes.... would that permeate the wood to the point where it could be harmful for the sticks? I know if I let it breath for a while after building the case that the fumes would wear off...

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I had good wood working skills to make something like that. I found a small cigar box that fits 5 Toro size cigars in it that I bring with me when I go out. Works great and it was under $10
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    Yakster said:

ill take a look at this when i get home! thanks :)
  • Options
    WaterNerd said:
    Wish I had good wood working skills to make something like that. I found a small cigar box that fits 5 Toro size cigars in it that I bring with me when I go out. Works great and it was under $10

I have a leather 5 stick case... but i cant find it... lost in a our last move.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #backstreetboys4lyfe
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Yakster said:

OK that is a neat project!!!!  A tad out of my skill range though. lol I was thinking more along the lines of a block of wood with cigar sized/shaped holes drilled in it. ;) I have a little more of a complex idea than that... but yeah.

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

thinking more along the lines of a block of wood with cigar sized/shaped holes drilled in it. ;) I have a little more of a complex idea than that... but yeah.

interesting idea. it could work....
    but you'd have to make sure the inside of the holes was sanded down to be super smooth....any rough grain or splinters would wreak havoc on the cigar wrappers.

since sanding them that smooth would probably be a pain in the a$$ ... you could drill out the holes then insert tubos into the holes.  put the cigars in the tubos & it'd save you from having to sand the wood like crazy. 

Also as for using varnishes.... would that permeate the wood to the point where it could be harmful for the sticks? I know if I let it breath for a while after building the case that the fumes would wear off...

apply stain/varnish to the exterior of the case only.  no it won't hurt the cigars as long as it's dry.
    do not apply any varnish to the interior of the case.

the cigars wouldn't be in there for too long so being able to maintain RH wouldn't be too much of an issue. would there be negative side effects to using an exotic wood instead of cedar or should I use an exotic wood and insert cedar sleeves?

correct. assuming the cigars will only be in there for a day or 2, no worries about the RH. 

other wood species should be fine -- just avoid aromatic woods (red cedar, sandalwood, etc) since they give off a fragrance that will get absorbed by the cigars. 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *