Home General Discussion
Options

Finding time.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you ever find yourself reaching for a cigar, then calculating how much time you will have to smoke the cigar and realizing you may be cutting it close, not grabbing a cigar?

Or am I the only one?  ;)
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like you need some coronos or petite robustos in your life
  • Options
    LOL!
    Funny, I tend to go thru Partagas shorts a lot.
    That explains it. :wink:
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind putting a cigar down at the halfway point. Better to have smoked some than not smoked at all. I won't choose to burn the best stick I have for this situation but still. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Reminds me of the zen saying "You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes a day. Unless you're too busy, then you should sit for an hour."

I've heard some people have cut cigars in half, but there seems to be a high correlation between people who cut their cigars in half and people who microwave them before smoking to age them so I'm taking this idea with a grain of salt. (maybe not so much a high correlation, but more the two ideas seem to come up in the same threads so their linked in my mind somehow)

Papas Fritas and La Palina 
    El Diario KBs are good, short smokes too.
    Post edited by Yakster on
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Reminds me of the zen saying "You should sit in meditation for 20 minutes a day. Unless you're too busy, then you should sit for an hour."

I've heard some people have cut cigars in half, but there seems to be a high correlation between people who cut their cigars in half and people who microwave them before smoking to age them so I'm taking this idea with a grain of salt.

Papas Fritas and La Palina El Diario KBs are good, short smokes too.
    Do folks have some success with cutting one in half?  I've thought of it but never tried it. I can see that the 'head' end will stay rolled but wouldn't the 'foot' end tend to unravel?  What then?  Scotch tape on the end you're going to stick in your mouth??

someone educate this oldfart, please....  :p
  • Options
    GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    @0patience So you're the little voice in my head. Should have known. 

This happens to me more time than I can count. I use to wonder if the size mattered (actually the length). I surmised it was an element that made NUB cigars so popular, but then I learned about long filler regardless of length. I accidentally discovered cigarellos at my former BnM just trying different smokes, except I sadly learned too late you can't smoke them like a regular stick, resulting in many fast, but harsh smokes.

@Trident suggestion is apt. I have a few cigarellos and coronas stored away for that exact reason.  Sadly the few lines that have such smaller sticks are AF, CAO, H. Upmann, Don Diego and Punch. I like the Punch Maduro Elite cost $2-2.50 and its way small (I guess it would be called a corona?)

Hey, what do I know, I'm a newb. 
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:

I like that quote a lot.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

jlmarta said:
    Yakster said:

I've heard some people have cut cigars in half, but there seems to be a high correlation between people who cut their cigars in half and people who microwave them before smoking to age them so I'm taking this idea with a grain of salt.

Papas Fritas and La Palina El Diario KBs are good, short smokes too.
    Do folks have some success with cutting one in half?  I've thought of it but never tried it. I can see that the 'head' end will stay rolled but wouldn't the 'foot' end tend to unravel?  What then?  Scotch tape on the end you're going to stick in your mouth??

someone educate this oldfart, please....  :p
    Directly after cutting it, stick the upper end of that lower half in your mouth and slobber it up good. That ought to do it. There's what I consider an expert cigar afficionado down in Virginia, been growing and rolling his own for thirty some years, who rolls one and light it immediately without aging or gluing. All's he does is slobber it down. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    I have been known, on occasion, to slide the band down on a churchill and smoke the lower half.
    Mostly because I had a lot of 1916 churchills that I got on a killer deal and there was no way I had time, so I improvised. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    jliu said:
    i just take it to the bathroom with me and ash in the toilet
    You're supposed to put your ash ON the toilet, not IN it, ya big silly... :p
  • Options

0patience said:
    I have been known, on occasion, to slide the band down on a churchill and smoke the lower half.
    Mostly because I had a lot of 1916 churchills that I got on a killer deal and there was no way I had time, so I improvised. 
    As usual, I've probably over-thought the issue but I envisioned making a wrap of scotch tape at the cut line, then cutting it so that half the tape remained on each half, then removing the tape from the 'head' half. The remaining tape on the 'foot' half would be on the end I'd put in my mouth. Does that make any sense??
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trident said:
    sounds like you need some coronos or petite robustos in your life
    Yep. I keep a fair amount of coronas on hand. Man O War Puro Authentico and Ruination are two that I smoke often during the week when I have less time.