Home General Discussion

Cigar Seasoning

tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
Had a few sticks in one humi for about 8 months and just smoked a couple. One was a Rocky Panel Decade. Didn't much care for its brother when I got them, but thought some time might improve it. Either it did my tastes have changed, but it was much better. Also had a Fonseca Arana from the same order and after 8 months it seemed much the same; just an OK stick. Anyone find any patterns to what improves with age and what doesn't? I figure a bad cigar will probably never be good, but I've heard that the bolder sticks improve more than the milder ones. Thoughts?

Comments

• GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Opinions of a newb (disclaimer made).

I learned something significant re storage. I never gave any concern to smoking my few sticks out of my B&M 24-48 hours after purchase. But, fortunately or unfortunately, circumstances have conspired to where I now leave my sticks in my tuppidor longer (maybe not 8 mths, but a few weeks), and have had to accept that I needed to exercise more "patience" for a better smoke.

I keep learning that there's more to smoking good cigars that picking them in the BnM-and it's awesome. 
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeh I've noticed after just 1 month of rest made a huge difference on some boxed cigars. Gonna give them some more time.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO <------------
     B&M purchases are smokeable immediatly, and the next day, and the day after that,........ unless you let them get too hot on the way to home.  The real need for rest comes from the stresses of shipment with UPS or USPS. The temperature swings can be hard on our sticks. And "rest" is needed for recovery.

As far as the original question, some sticks are known for improving with a year's rest. Which ones? I'd like to see that list myself. I think Obsidian is on that list. 

And, at what point does resting become aging? idk shrug jason segel shrugging nbd
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    IMHO <------------
     B&M purchases are smokeable immediatly, and the next day, and the day after that,........ unless you let them get too hot on the way to home.  The real need for rest comes from the stresses of shipment with UPS or USPS. The temperature swings can be hard on our sticks. And "rest" is needed for recovery.

As far as the original question, some sticks are known for improving with a year's rest. Which ones? I'd like to see that list myself. I think Obsidian is on that list. 

100% agree ^^^^^^^ 

And RE: "what brands age well" .... there seems to be a general consensus that cigars from DPG & AJ Fernandez improve with 6 months+ "rest". 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the traditional line of thought is the stronger/bolder sticks will change more with age and rest time.  They will smooth out and become a little more mellow but still be great cigars.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The title made me think of sprinkling sticks with a little salt and pepper.  I was very curious to see how that turned out.   LOL
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    I tried an Ave Marie Crusader Robusto at lunch today that I had in the humi since last July. Then I tried one that was rested from shipping. I think they were pretty much the same. Tomorrow I will do the same with a comparable pair of Unholy Cocktails. I just love a good excuse to smoke a good cigar!
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke mostly maduros and bolder cigars.  When I get an order, I put half in the aging humidor, anywhere from a couple of months to a year.  I find that they all seem to improve with some age on them.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    YankeeMan said:
    I smoke mostly maduros and bolder cigars.  When I get an order, I put half in the aging humidor, anywhere from a couple of months to a year.  I find that they all seem to improve with some age on them.
    Good idea! I think I will start splitting my orders that way. Of course, that means I will have to double my quantities. Hmm. Found another excuse to order more cigars...