Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Casa Magna Colorado Robusto

tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
Robust 5.5x52 Medium-Full bodied 89 pts. For those that follow that. I tend to ignore those scores to a large extent, but I guess they can be a starting point in choosing where to spend your limited cigar budget. (okay, maybe it's not as limited as my wife would like, but I think it's pretty limited!) 
This was a nice, dark Nicaraguan cigar. Well made, felt solidly packed and had a nice smooth wrapper.
I first tried one of these back in the 80s. It was one of the first cigars I ever smoked and I was not yet really under the spell of cigars yet. I regret that I don't remember much about it, but for some reason I made a note about it in my day timer so I know I liked it at the time.
I believe the brand started with 5 vitolas in 1969 and combined tobaccos from Esteli and Jalapa. Esteli tends to produce stronger flavored leaf and Jalapa trends toward a more refined mix, so the end result was a pretty well balanced mix. 
The initial smell was rich and reminded me of bakers chocolate. The first smoke gave notes of wood and sweet toast, which continued through the first half. The start of the middle third brought coffee notes to the front and a richness as well.
Lots of rich smoke from this stick, but the draw was somewhat stiff and tight. The draw loosened up a bit in the second half and the taste remained pretty balanced throughout.
Great aromas and good flavor for a medium, medium-full stick that I think would pair well with either an Italian roast coffee or an Oatmeal Stout beer. 
I have added a number of these to the humi and would recommend it.