Home General Discussion
Options

21 year old Cigar

BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
Ok..  one for ya. I found an old cigar from over 21 years ago. When my son was born I bought a box of cigars to hand out. It wasn't an expensive cigar. Just the king that said, It's A Boy on the wrapper. It's been in the original wrapper, in a coled velvet box and in this Texas humidity the whole time. I have looked it over and there is no problems at all with it. It's still in the package and still soft with no cracking.
Here's the question.
Would you smoke it?  If not...
What would you suggest to bring it back to life, to smoke it?

if it's still good to smoke, that's som serious aging. Lol 
Danny B

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make sure the humidity is good, then if there is no mold, smoke the damn thing
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a nice stiff chaser just in case it doesn't go your way! lol  good luck let us know
    The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How's your health insurance plan?
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

Im gonna follow this... I wanna know how it turns out. :)

My two cents... Smoke it! worst case scenario if its no good... put it our and light up another stick and call it good. :)

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @Wylaff, if its rested in the correct humidity and no mold, smoke it!
  • Options
    Forgive me Oregonian ignorance... What is the average humidity in Texas?
  • Options
    Some of y'all are cracking me up. So my guess is no one has ever had a 21 year old cigar. 
    Texas humidity is always 100 % humidity. 
    There are no apparent signs of mold or beatles. 
    My son is about to get married in September and the plan is to smoke this cigar when he has his first kid. So we might have about 3-5 years before I actually smoke it. 
    Should I keep it away from my other cigars?
    Just want some advise on how to keep it until then. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    I would say if there is no mold or beetles... keep it with your other sticks. Put it in your humidor and just check on it periodically. wouldn't hurt to keep it in a stable cigar friendly environment. Just to make sure it maintains the mold free life. tuck it away and wait for the grandchild to show! :) would be awesome if your son has a boy too!
  • Options

Danny B
  • Options

This is is how I plan on storing it. Unless otherwise told different. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over 21 years a lot could have happened to it. The favors you would get if it was properly cared for probably won't be there. If there is no mold or beetle holes after this long you should be good to just toss it in the humi
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    BigDaddy said:

This is is how I plan on storing it. Unless otherwise told different. 

I would think that should do just fine... just keep it somewhere that is not likely to get squished. lol
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I'd just save it and keep as a memory. If I were you I'd buy something nice now and age it till the wedding. This way you pretty much know you'll enjoy it without the craps shoot
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed @Lee.mcglynn.  It probably wasn't worth smoking 21 years ago, still isn't, and would have more value in its current condition than if you turn it into a pile of ashes. 

Maybe save it and give it to your son when your grandson is born.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Thanks guys. All good stuff. 
    I think I'll just hold on to it. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That cigar is worth more as a story and a remembrance than burned to ash so I agree you are making a good choice keeping it.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    The plan was to save it. I just forgot all about it. Lol. I was getting my old western belt buckle ( the one I wore in high school) for my son. That's when I found the cigar. I bought a box of them on 10/4/94. My son was born the next day. I smoked 2 and gave the rest away. Saved one for later. 
    My son and I were pretty excited when I found it. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive had some old 20+ year cigars thanks to the generosity and grace of others, so long as they have been properly maintained in an appropriate environment (think anywhere from 55-70% rH verrrry roughly) then it would be fine to smoke. Most off brand cigars though are mixed filler or lower quality tobacco, so after 21+ years unless it was very very ligero heavy it will likely have mellowed so much that little can be taken away. Personally though I would smoke it for the milestone and memory of such a special day and F it if it doesn't taste amazing, the experience and memory will make it special enough regardless ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd just save it and keep as a memory. If I were you I'd buy something nice now and age it till the wedding. This way you pretty much know you'll enjoy it without the craps shoot
    I like this idea, you could always wait until he has his first child and give him a box of nice cigars and suggest he keep one like you did, might start a nice family tradition.
  • Options
    perkinke said:
    I like this idea, you could always wait until he has his first child and give him a box of nice cigars and suggest he keep one like you did, might start a nice family tradition.
    I still have one or maybe 2 of the Genesis torpedo box I bought when I found out I was going to be a Dad. Sent away more than half to guys on here to share in my proudest moment. Hope those that smoked em enjoyed, wasn't a super high end stick but it was still a great one and love em :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    perkinke said:
    I still have one or maybe 2 of the Genesis torpedo box I bought when I found out I was going to be a Dad. Sent away more than half to guys on here to share in my proudest moment. Hope those that smoked em enjoyed, wasn't a super high end stick but it was still a great one and love em :)

Brett
    I still have the one you gave me and am waiting for a good day to smoke it!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    perkinke said:

Brett
    I still have the one you gave me and am waiting for a good day to smoke it!
    No time like the present my brother ;) Cael turned 3 back in late February and started pre-school and if you can believe this chit he is already teaching himself math, reading and writing... I bought a lot of sand so I can stick my head in it

Brett