Home Non Cigar Related
Options

If This Doesn't Make Your Hands Ache.....

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
So most of my free time the past few months has been spent on the motorcycle, doing a rest-mod build on it. Between the stress and how busy with the move, work and a lot of medical issues working and riding the bike has been a form of therapy for my head. 

I did recently decide to take on a project that bit off way more than I expected and turned into quite the project. So this bike is 31 years old, and even though it is in pretty amazing shape a lot of the painted items are showing their age and showing cracking, chipping, scratch and fading etc. Not a huge deal but it always draws my eye in before anything else and bugs me. The gas tank graphics are by far the worst but I already have a replacement tank that looks great, just need to get some dents popped out of it and will be good to go, just have to save up for the $$ to get the dents pulled then I can swap tanks. 

The other big eye sore to me was the engine and cases, they didn't look terrible but it was still a major eyesore to me. So I decided that while the engine and everything was still in the bike I would strip it all down, sand it out and clean it up and repaint it, I also had the brilliant idea to do the exact same thing to the exhaust at the same time.  I expected that to take a few hours but overall not be that big of a deal... .WRONG!!!!! Sometimes I really am a mental midget  :s

12+ hrs later of rubbing by hand and all of that elbow grease I wrapped it up, turned out great and I LOVE how it looks but my hands are shot and ache like crazy, never ever again will I do something like that with the engine still in the bike. Sucks enough to do that with the engine out of the bike, but still in the frame and all connected up... NO. Just NO hahaha  :smile:

Midway Progress: 

Right before I sprayed it, this was all masked up and minutes from laying paint dow

Right after paint was laid out, still tack dry but masking removed. Next set is after the bike is all reassembled. Still have to sand off the raised sections of the cam cover on top of the engine and the edges of the fins, but that will come next few days: 

I know that was super pic heavy, but for those gear heads out there figured y'all may appreciate it plus get a chuckle after thinking about how much y'alls hands would hurt doing that too :sweat_smile:

Brett
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    too much work, looks good bro
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Thanks man, was a ton of work and in hindsight as I said I was a total mental midget, but I can't argue with the results.

On my lunch break at work and pulled off the front fender and masked, prepped and sprayed the faded mud guard at the back since it was an eyesore as well. Pics to come later today. Gotta say this is one of the major benefits of working from home for Apple ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like skinned knuckles to me.  Good job.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple three items conspicuously absent from your ashram.

1. I see no beer fridge. Haunt recycle.org and craigslist. A dorm room size fridge will pop up.
    2. A beer fridge is a handy place to set your Daniel Reyes cigar rest. Indispensable acoutrement. 
    3. I see you have an old leather couch. For heaven's sake. Swap that out for a milk crate. Jeez.
    For extra points, you could set a discarded boob toob atop the dorm fridge, so's you can half watch football or MMA while wrenching, smoking, and drinking. I always turn my head when that Ronda Rousey vs Alexis Davis reruns flash on... 

excellent boobage and an awesome finish too. Always worth a beer and cigar pause.

Enjoy your murdercycle ashram. I love mine. Women ruminate with with glass and twigs and candles and knicknacks and such not useless bagatelles. Men meditate with steel.

uuuuuuuuAH? aaaaaaarooh? ooooooogh? haruh huh huh huh hough.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Thanks Amos, there was plenty of that as well lol. 

Web, gotta say those are some mighty fine suggestions and the fridge especially me like :) The couch is just temporary as we are donating it but there is already a small tv out there as well as surround sound that I wired in so at least that is covered :)

Brett