Ensign Cowall Shelter, MD

Raven Rock Shelter, MD

Pennsylvania-Maryland Line

Deer Lick Shelters, PA

Antietam Shelter, PA

Tumbling Run Shelters, PA

Rocky Mountain Shelters Side Trail, PA

US30-Caledonia State Park, PA
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds great,are you hiking all of that? 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Hah, they edited out Kn0b!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Starting tomorrow with a buddy and ending on Saturday, if we don't collapse first.  His wife is dropping us off, probably around 10 AM.  It's a little over an hour from their place but we have to wait until one of their kids catches a bus to school.  We have alternate pick-ups scheduled if we can't hack it.  Weather should be gorgeous until Saturday afternoon.

I think we're going to try for 13.7 miles to Raven Rock shelter.  There's a little more added on from the parking area to the AT, but not too much.  From there to Antietam Shelter on Friday for 12 miles or so.  Then an easy 10.8 on the last day.  

The second day might be killer.  The first day has an initial climb and then is rolling.  Maybe 1400 to 1600 feet in elevation change, but not much at one time for most of it.  The second day has a lot more elevation change.  The final day has a good amount of elevation change, but most of it comes near the end and is a descent.  We'll see if the knees hold out.
    Post edited by Martel on

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JEALOUS; sounds like a great time.
    Hopefully the weather holds up and you don't have to battle any thunderstorms along the way.

So you'll be doing 3 days of hiking?
    Are you camping along the way?

If so, what's your backpack/tent/etc setup like?
    The reason I ask, is that the we're tossing around the idea of getting some new equipment so we can do over-night hiking/backpacking trips.  Our current gear is good for "car camping" but too heavy for backpacking.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds very cool @Martel, pls share some pictures later? Would love to see some of your hike!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I bet it's going to be beautiful. Have fun!!
  • Options
    Weather looks good.  I'll try to take pics, but am conserving weight and cell phone battery along the way, so I'm not sure what I'll get.

I'm borrowing a pack-it's a Kelty internal frame.  I haven't done a backpacking trip since before grad school, and most of those were only overnighters after getting married in 02.  This is 3 days, 2 nights.  This is kind of a trial run with lots of bailout options along the way.  My buddy is bringing the stove and water filter.  I'd recommend trying it this way rather than buying a bunch of stuff right off the bat.  Back in the day I used external frame packs exclusively, but they're harder to come by now.  I liked the attachment points, and I seemed to be able to adjust fit to my 6'5'' body better.  Now, I'm probably going to go for my own pack if this weekend works out.  I did get new boots in April in order to break them in.  Vasque, but not sure the model right now.  

I'm trying the hammock thing rather than a tent.  I like my backyard hammock and nap great in it.  I've got a sleeping pad and my son's bag (mine is a 0 degree and heavier than I want).  I got the cheapest hammock that would hold my weight to try it out.  Worked okay on a test set-up.  If weather continues to say no rain, I probably won't even take a tarp.  I haven't found a good mosquito net option for cheap, so that worries me a bit.  

I used to backpack a lot when I was in college and before getting married.  Now that I'm only an hour or so from the AT and lots of history I want to get back into it.  My wife likes car camping, but we sold a ton of gear when we moved into married student housing 6 or 7 years ago.  We're slowly building our gear back up.  But you're right, none of it is good for packing.

• Options
    Well, I wish I were young enough to have enjoyed it, too.  I made it about halfway, but had sprained my knee on day 1 and couldn't continue.

There's no real training for backpacking except to do more backpacking.  I should have had my pack weighed down and been walking with it for extended periods.  Even if you strengthen your muscles, they're still going to get tired with a constant extra 40+ pounds as you climb up and down uneven trails.  I'm not too disappointed and hope to try again in the fall on another section.  

Weight is all-important.  You're always between the decision of "Do I really want to include this weight?  But what if I wind up really needing it?"  I packed too much--although not enough moleskin or a pair of scissors up to cutting what I did bring.  I forgot how much of a pain that stuff can be with just a knife.  I have blisters on blisters, but wouldn't trade it for the world.  Any chance to get out in the wild is good.

I did get a couple of pics that I'll upload at some point.  I also had a camera malfunction and lost some good ones.

I will say, I think even though I was on the "easy" section of the AT, it was harder hiking than I remember the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, or J-Tree being.  Granted that was about 20 years ago, so my memories might be hazy, and my joints were certainly younger.  Still, the paths were so rocky you had uncertain footing nearly 75% of the time I'd guess.  My size 13s need a big landing space.  I missed once and got a little lateral movement on legs with tired muscles.  I know the boots saved my ankles, but that means the knee was just the next joint up.  The pain's not too bad, and little to no swelling makes me suspect just a mild sprain/strain of the LCL with maybe some patellar tendon stretching, too.

So the goal was 36.5, I made it over 18.5.  My buddy finished out.  He said the hiking was easier than the first two days, but I know I couldn't have done the big up right after I stopped or big down on day 3.  Plus there was some scrambling over rocks.  

BTW, the hammock was fantastic for this.  Lighter than a tent.  Even had I needed a tarp/fly.  It would have been nasty had it gotten much colder at night, but I could have taken a heavier bag, too.  Mine was only rated to 50, even though I have a 0 degree I could have brought.  A pad was necessary.  Positioning of the lines is critical for comfort; pick good trees to stretch it tight.  It was nice to adjust it to elevate the feet a little to reduce swelling the first night.

Added bonus...on this kind of hike, your morning routine will have the best view you'll ever get after the coffee kicks in!  Who needs a book?

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup extra weight can be a issue also just the balance of the weight. I deal with this everyday carrying heavy stuff through all sorts of places. The worst was installing a ac condenser on the side of a hill! It was very rocky terrain and it had miss all over it...well atleast nobody got hurt on that one
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    The Pack-I was wrong the Kelty fit worse; this is a Gregory.

• Options
    Here are a couple of photos from a scenic overlook (Black Rock Cliff) in MD.

• Options
    And the panoramic view from Pen Mar Park about a quarter mile south of the Mason-Dixon line. This looks toward Monterey Pass on the right, where a battle was fought during the retreat from Gettysburg during the Civil War.

BTW, I almost packed one of each cigar so my buddy and I could stand on either side of the line and smoke 'em.  I haven't tried either the North or the South and thought this would be a good excuse opportunity to try them.  Still, since the office is under 3 miles away from the line as the crow flies, I guess I don't need to be on the trail to try this.

• Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful site,sorry to hear about your injury,but it sounds like you still enjoyed yourself,glad you made it home safe 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful pictures Martel! Thank you for sharing.

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm glad you had a good time and made it as far as you did. Wise decision to call it a day - I'm guessing you would have trekked on being younger and might have really injured yourself worse; I know I would have.

Thanks for sharing your awesome weekend with us, the pictures are stunning.

So, when is the next one?  :)
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice! Wish I could do something like that! It's truly beautiful and humbling 
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the injury Martel, but glad you still had such a good time all the same and didn't push a bad position and get into a spot that you may not have been able to dig your way out of. GREAT pics and really appreciate you sharing, hope you are well!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Martel - Don't give up!! In the summer of 1974 I use to pick up the trail off of Skyline Drive outside of Front Royal VA with a couple friends. We were seventeen and full of piss and vinegar. We would traverse between 10 and 15 miles a day for 4 to 5 days.The views were amazing but the friendship between the group and those we met on the trail could never be replicated. I miss those days. Thank You for reminding me of those.