Home Non Cigar Related
Options

do you have any gardening home remedies?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Im mainly asking cause we have MAJOR issues with Blackberry and Raspberry vines in my yard. Its all because of our neighbors lol. Do you have any home remedies that you use for vines? or any home remedies for gardening whatever the problem may be?
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Crossbow on blackberries and Scotch Broom.
    It works well on them and if you want to kill everything off, mix Crossbow and Roundup and water.
    There are no "organic" remedies for either one in the Pathetic NW.
    Because we get so much water, organic killers wash away.
    The only way I know of around here, to keep them at bay without chemicals is cutting them back.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I want to use Crossbow but we have so many plants around them that I would hate to accidentally kill the innocents. LOL
  • Options
    Anything that will kill blackberries is pretty much going to kill any broadleaf plant.

So, if maintaining the plants around them is a concern, you pretty much have no choice, but to cut them back.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Ive had people tell me that I should get a small paint brush and brush Crossbow on some of the leaves that its an easier way to kill them off and restrict plant killer to just that plant. OR cut some of the vines and paint the fresh cut with it....
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Napalm comes to mind.....   :p
  • Options
    I think my neighbors might be mad if I napalm their yards to preserve my own.... HOWEVER I do like that idea
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hee Hee. I was very tempted to use it on blackberry vines encroaching from a neighbor's yard in Longview, WA when I lived there. 

It grew back faster than I could cut it....  And then it got up into the trees and from there it was "Katy, bar the door.... ".  :p
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Im mainly asking cause we have MAJOR issues with Blackberry and Raspberry vines in my yard. Its all because of our neighbors lol. Do you have any home remedies that you use for vines? or any home remedies for gardening whatever the problem may be?
    You kidding me? Having tons of fresh fruit available every summer is a problem? :#    I would give a nut to be able to get blackberry and raspberry bushes to grow in my yard. I've tried planting both and they always died. 
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    It's hard to explain to people how bad a weed blackberries are in the Pacific Northwest, that have never lived here.
    Blackberry vines here can potentially grow at the rate of 3' per week easily.
    They overtake everything and expand at an amazing rate.

For us, it's a weed. I laugh when I see people talking about planting blackberries in their gardens in other parts of the country.
    Edit: Sorry @raisindot it's just like folks in southern areas can grow citrus without problems, blackberries, raspberries, currants, loganberries and all that grow like weeds here.

Hmm, I wonder how easy it is to ship berries. LOL!

But damn, blackberry jam is delicious!

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, TN is overrun by blackberries as well.  What Raisindot is picturing are good berries, not the little sour wild ones.  Of course, if you tend them, they will get better.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    The ones here, the berries are about 1" long and very sweet.
    I just sprayed the hell out of a ton of them the other day. LOL!

One of these days, Missy will have to make up some blackberry jam.
    Haven't had any good blackberry preserves since my sister died.
    She used to make preserves and blackberry jelly. 
    Now I'm getting hungry. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: