Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Anyone keep farm/barnyard animals?

MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
We have the "Chicken Barn" (as my kids call it) being built and picked up 25 straight run chicks today. We are hoping to maintain 20-30 egg layers. We are building the coop with the ability to add on for goats or sheep or something in the coming years.
Anyone else have livestock?

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15 chickens and a rooster, produce more eggs than 4 families can eat.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Nice! We also have a honey bee hive as well.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I half expected Rain to pop in with a goat joke. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of my brothers kept a flock of chickens for a while. He told me that it's not necessary to have a rooster if all you want are the eggs. He said a rooster is only necessary if you want chicks - I.e., to increase your flock or to stock your freezer. 

I'm a city boy and I grew up thinking no rooster - no eggs. Silly me....
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We keep chickens, the eggs are fantastic
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    One of my brothers kept a flock of chickens for a while. He told me that it's not necessary to have a rooster if all you want are the eggs. He said a rooster is only necessary if you want chicks - I.e., to increase your flock or to stock your freezer. 

The rooster is there to protect his hens. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost said:
    jlmarta said:

Uh, are you sure?  Is that all?  How come ya frequently see 'em on top of a hen?  Protection?  ....   :#
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    webmost said:
    jlmarta said:

Uh, are you sure?  Is that all?  How come ya frequently see 'em on top of a hen?  Protection?  ....   :#
    Doubt they wear any.
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife keeps me around does that count?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well all guys are "pigs" haha

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That makes her a zookeeper !!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would love to get a goat so i didn't have to mow the grass.....but "farm animals" are prohibited by city ordinance.

we are allowed to have egg-laying chickens, but neither the wife nor i are big egg eaters.

wife's family had beef cattle & pigs when she was growing up.....but they haven't done livestock for years now.
    her dad still raises about 150 chickens for meat each fall though and is generous enough to share them with the family (he keeps our freezer stocked with some delicious birds!!!)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Now that you guys have had your fun. Here are all 40 birds under the same roof. We aren't sure which of the 35 chicks we are keepingand there are 5 older Buff Orpingtons that should be laying those beautiful brown eggs in about 2 weeks!

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chicken in the bread pan peck'n out dough. Looks nice.

Hell with the eggs you got some fryers there.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Chicken in the bread pan peck'n out dough. Looks nice.

Hell with the eggs you got some fryers there.
    Yeah!! I got 10 Rhode Island Reds which are great dual purpose birds and make great broilers!!! Big breast on them birds!!
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    nothing wrong with big breast, couldnt resist when I saw it wasnt censored.
    nice pen @MikeTodd
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone say Breast?

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Some "neighbors" (close enough, I can see them on the next hill) have a henhouse.  I've learned "what does the fox say" quite well.  I wonder how much poultry survives.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    I half expected Rain to pop in with a goat joke. LOL!
    I think @Rain likes sheep
  • Options
    Finally getting eggs! We get between 8-9 a day now and have 21 hens total.

• Options
    TaraLeeTaraLee Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    We have 3 small hens for eggs. We are in town, but have a decent size backyard. About 1/3 of it is fenced off for our garden beds and the coop. The hens' coop gets opened each morning and they get to wander and scratch around in the fenced area. 

Someday we plan to have property. Then I'll be able to have pet chickens for eggs and meat chickens too!
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was younger my family had a few goats we always had milk so much that we made butter with some of it and my mom made cheese it was really good milk and not processed good for the body lol
  • Options
    WE GOT PIGS!!!

• Options
    Hey, wait. I think I know one of those gals. Uh,.... Oh, no. I guess not. Sorry......  :p