Home General Discussion

New York City

Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
Heading there tomorrow for an overnight business trip. Hoping I'll have some time in the evening to explore. Never been there before. They're putting me up at the Waldorf Astoria on Park Avenue. Anybody know of any good smoke shops in the Big Apple?
"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Comments

• CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Love NYC. I have no recommendations for cigar shops because I never had time to find one, but I will make time on my next trip, which will hopefully be this fall.
    There is a Davidoff Lounge in Manhattan. If I was balling it up at the Waldorf Astoria that would be my choice.
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like fun. Love the big apple, but I'd be interested in hearing what you find foe cigar lounges or b&ms. My youngest daughter moved there and I'm planning on heading out there to see my grandkids soon.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow Doug the Waldorf, AWESOME! I have never seen that, would love to see a few pics if you get a chance of the place and any of the lounges you find! I have to do a BIG +1 with Charlie's suggestion though, if I was living it up that big Davidoff is the only thing that seems would fit for me in that situation too. 

Friday I am doing a ride with Pops to celebrate Father's Day and we are going to light up at the top of Rist Canyon above Fort Collins, I'm bringing a Davidoff for the occasion.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nat Sherman townhouse is only a few blocks away.  I think its 5th and 42nd?  Right by Bryant park.  

Great walk in humidor.  Obviously the Nat Sherman line, but a ton of other brands (big Tat lineup).  Check out their website. 

There is also a Club Montecristo and a Davidoff lounge, but I have not been to those

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the davidoff store is pretty sick!! Do yourself a favor and don't walk looking up and around! That marks you as a tourist and you have a higher risk of getting robbed! Nyc is fun but there are rules to the game and that's the big one...at least in the not so expensive areas
    Money can't buy taste
  • MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    The Waldorf is a stellar place!  I worked in NYC but I was young and had hair.  I use the "Where to Smoke" app by Cigar Aficionado when I travel and it has been pretty good. 
    Nat Sherman townhouse is only a few blocks away.  I think its 5th and 42nd?  Right by Bryant park.  

Great walk in humidor.  Obviously the Nat Sherman line, but a ton of other brands (big Tat lineup).  Check out their website. 

There is also a Club Montecristo and a Davidoff lounge, but I have not been to those

Very cool, totally forgot about Nat (though shouldn't have honestly), and have heard that is a very special experience to go there and to smoke and talk to the staff, very special crew from everything I have heard.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the Davidoff lounge is not far...

"When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
    15 min walk aint no big deal at all, plus you could say you are "balancing" your health by walking before and after your cigar LOL

Brett
    Nat Sherman pretty close too. Thanks guys!

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Just remember your gonna pay nyc prices! I think the last time I was in the area a padron 45 was well over $70 a stick! If you go to Sherman or davidoff it should be less but still a steep price!
    Money can't buy taste
    Holy SMOKES literally!

Brett
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, not the place to stock your cooler, but great place to hang out and have a smoke.  I go to Nat's since it is a block from our office when I am in NYC.  You may find some HTF sticks as well.  Ask the staff what they recommend or what they might have hidden in the back room.

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been to the Nat Sherman Townhouse and it's great. Also try the Carnegie Cigar Lounge. If you want a real kick go to NYC's Finest Cigar Shop where they roll their own. Will tell you not to cut or punch their cigars just give it a nip with your teeth. Enjoy your stay .

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have fun Doug.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is in NYC to do a theatre piece. I searched a few shops and if you want something different, Mullberry St cigars in little Italy and Martinez both roll their own blends. Have fun!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Made it to Nat Sherman 4 minutes before they closed...

Awesome, really neat looking storefront!

Brett
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just remember your gonna pay nyc prices! I think the last time I was in the area a padron 45 was well over $70 a stick! If you go to Sherman or davidoff it should be less but still a steep price!
    I was just about to say don't have a heart attack when you see the sticker price. 
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    Been to the Nat Sherman Townhouse and it's great. Also try the Carnegie Cigar Lounge. If you want a real kick go to NYC's Finest Cigar Shop where they roll their own. Will tell you not to cut or punch their cigars just give it a nip with your teeth. Enjoy your stay .

Jose Padron says he never uses a cutter. Always bites the end off. 
    Rhamlin said:
    Albinfk said:

Jose Padron says he never uses a cutter. Always bites the end off. 
    Yeah read that in an interview always thought that was slick. Don Pepin apparently only uses his fingernails to cut and remove his caps too. 

Brett
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna train my hamster to nibble the end off for me....   :pimage