Options

Humidity or Temperature

2»

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    peter4jc said:
    You can also drop a freeze-pack into a ziplock and place in your humidor, assuming you have room.
    May have to try this, I'm fighting a losing battle with temps, but keeping the humidity at ~ 65% so I think I'm ok for Mold but at risk for critters.

I was looking at winedoors in Santa Cruz on Craigslist a while ago, about $50, may have to go that route.  Maybe for my Birthday.
    Whelp, I tried this one day, small freeze-packs in a ziplock and that wrapped in a terrycloth towel and when I got home the pack wasn't cool any longer and when I put a fresh freeze-pack in at night the temp was fine but the humidity in my humidor was up around 78% with some condensation on the plastic noted and that's with a humidor stuffed with extra Boveda 65% packs.

Probably won't be trying this again, may have to move up my search for a wine fridge to conver to a Winedor.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:
    I was just wondering if the water (humidity) in a cigar would expand enough to damage the construction. Thanks Nick. 
    No, I have never once lost a cigar to freezing. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee I go strait to freezer for 72-96 hours depending on if I remember they are in there. From there they get wrapped in a heavy towel for 8-10 hours then into the winecoolers. Frigerator not necessary. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Usaf06 said:
    Lee I go strait to freezer for 72-96 hours depending on if I remember they are in there. From there they get wrapped in a heavy towel for 8-10 hours then into the winecoolers. Frigerator not necessary. 

Yeah, I don't do the extra days in the fridge either. Mine go from the mailbox to a tiled floor for a couple hrs. to acclimate to room temp, dbl. freezer bag and into the freezer. When the time is up I remove the extra bag, this helps prevent condensation, wrap in a bath towel and let em sit overnight, label em and into the humi for at least a month's rest. I have done a LOT of cigars this way and have not had even one damaged.

Oh yeah, I freeze box and all 

A few years back when I found beetle holes in a couple of sticks I froze entire humidors.  

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah look up psychometric chart and that's what goes into temp and RH! There are so many calculations your head can hurt
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day 6 and still no beetles. Garage was a toasty 93 yesterday. Gonna be really hot and humid today as well.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Day 6 and still no beetles. Garage was a toasty 93 yesterday. Gonna be really hot and humid today as well.
    This is getting very interesting.  Keep it coming. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    ChristusRexChristusRex Posts: 8

65% and 69 on one side and 66% 70.5 on the other. The A/C will kick on at 71 and  in a short time both the humidity and temp will be back at 65% and 68.5 degrees. This works for me and probably the best investment I ever made for my cigars.

Where did you get that humi? Is that from 1stclasshumidors? 
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His tower is called the Reagan and is a 4,000 count Double door unit.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

65% and 69 on one side and 66% 70.5 on the other. The A/C will kick on at 71 and  in a short time both the humidity and temp will be back at 65% and 68.5 degrees. This works for me and probably the best investment I ever made for my cigars.

Where did you get that humi? Is that from 1stclasshumidors? 
    PM Sent
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they first decided to put a hockey team in Miami, I think it was, they asked for team name suggestions. The team was gonna play in the same arena as the heat, so someone suggested "Humidity", cause it ain't the Heat, it's the Humidity. Best overlooked team name ever. Now they're Panthers, I think.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dug this back up, seemed a good time since summer is right around the corner.....A lot good info in here.