Home Non Cigar Related

Morning Train Time

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
So the little man is into trains right now and has been for a few years, it's his all time favorite thing even over mommy and daddy right now. My wife had to run out to the DMV so it is just him and I and he drug me into his room and signed to me that he wanted me to rebuild his train table that he destroyed. A bit later I was left with this and an incredibly happy son, wish I had something this cool when I was his age!!!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job Dad
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    You get serious Dad points for that man!
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All aboard,great job Brett
    Non Crux sed lux
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks gang, just glad to keep him happy this move has been really really hard on him and has caused some severe behavioral stuff. So keeping him happy is what its all about right now. Took him on a train ride on a miniature diesel train around the park here in Loveland, and will do that again this afternoon. 

We are lucky that one of the major hubs for the Great Western Railway is here in Loveland, CO. My wife found it a few weeks back and took Cael there and asked for a tour. One of the engine drivers heard and showed them around, come to find out his son is also Autistic and that trains are one of his fav things too (more often than not I am finding that autistic children tend to have a fascination more than most with trains and other large equipment), and took Cael on a private tour through the engines and depot. The driver said that most don't know but they rent out the depot for birthday parties, and while it is a steep price they take the kids on full size diesel engine rides around the city and on the tracks for a few hours and then rent out the hall for the party and it is all included in the rental price of $500 bones. Steep but I think it would be one helluva party for him so next February when he turns 4 we will do that.

Anyone else's kids way into trains?

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My middle kid absolutely loves trains. There are a couple train tours around here that wrap through the desert and mountains and end at old ghost towns. They're pretty fun to go on. We also have a brewery that runs out of an old depot.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My oldest son loved trains when he was younger. He always said he would be a conductor. The world of trains is very fascinating,enjoy it with your little guy.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    with their constrained path, timetable, size trains are very predictable. The rumble and rhythm they make is comforting. It's not sensory overload when there is just-one-thing....
    @silvermouse, absolutely right and can tell you have some experience and a lot of understanding of autism in general. Thanks for all th kind words and encouragement you've said in this and many other posts :)

@Wylaff, that is awesome Wayne! Bet the brewery is a neat place and lot of fun to visit and tour as well! Sounds like you guys have some neat rails and trails out there, have you and your boy been on any of them? Bet that would be some great and very memorable father son time right there!

@johnnyB, thanks man it's something we really connect with together and very special time for us :) This September a real life version of Thomas the Tank comes to Golden and does a tour through the mountains and you do lunch and all that on the train, we are taking Boy Wonder to that and imagine he will lose his mind in a good way :p

Brett
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been on a couple. They do theme rides for holidays. Last year we got on one and they warned us that the cave spiders were more active than usual this year. When we passed through a cave one of the crew snuck a large rubber spider onto the seat next to us. His reaction was priceless.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha oh man I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that, sure it was priceless :D
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loved playing with train sets when I was kid. The older engines would smoke and blow a horn. I bet your kid really enjoys it. Nice.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Brios are the best! When my boys were young I spent a small fortune buying wooden tracks and bridges and turntables and trains and whatnot. One of the saddest times of my life is when they lost interest in them. I'll never get rid of any of it---all the stuff is packed away in boxes in the attic. 
    Been having a blast building and playing with him, I suspect it will be a long time if ever that he grows out of it considering the circumstances but who knows will just wait and see. Glad y'all enjoyed the pic and topic and glad it brought back some fond memories too :)

Brett
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great job on the train table!
    I do not have children. Cherish the time you can spend with yours. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Thanks Michael, I do my best to always remember that ;)

Brett
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's the Roaring Camp trains in Felton that go through the redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains, and some of them down to the beach boardwalk.  Went a couple of times and often camp in the state park nextdoor.  Even went when the kids were younger and they were doing a Thomas the Train day.

I regret not riding the Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad when I was in Durango years ago.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    There's the Roaring Camp trains in Felton that go through the redwoods in the Santa Cruz mountains, and some of them down to the beach boardwalk.  Went a couple of times and often camp in the state park nextdoor.  Even went when the kids were younger and they were doing a Thomas the Train day.

I regret not riding the Durango Narrow Gauge Railroad when I was in Durango years ago.
    Very very very cool Yakster, and totally agree the Durango Narrow Guage is on my bucket list, even before the kiddo was way into them :) A bit later in life I would enjoy doing the train rides through the Cali wine trail, not a huge wine guy but still think it would be pretty nice. Damn shame there isn't a bourbon train route, that would be heaven!

Brett
    Sign me up for the bourbon train.  Even if it's a Kalamazoo hand car!  I know a guy who has or had a rail ready vehicle that he'd take out on expeditions, DIY bourbon train could be dangerous.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this one was a lot of fun when I was a kid and it is still running I see:

http://thecog.com/schedule_rates.php
    Very very cool, should we make it out that way will have to do that thanks!

Brett
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't let him fool you, he still likes playing with trains.
    Let's face it. We have children, so we can still have a reason to play with our toys.
    LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    Just wait until it's time to play with slot cars!

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm terrible with slot cars.
    We made a 150' drag race track and then built upgraded cars for drag racing them.

Real racers drive straight to the finish line.
    All others drive round in circles looking for it. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post Brett...thanks for sharing. 
    @smoke_em_if_you_got_em, thanks Ro it's be a while since I said hey by its good to hear from you and appreciate the kindness, glad you enjoyed the post ;)

Brett