Home Non Cigar Related

Let's talk automotive snake oils.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since I've spent a large portion of my career as a mechanic in some sort of information and technology, I thought it would be good to discuss snake oils and snake oil salesmen.

Is there a product you know about that you wonder if it works or not?

Because lately I've seen a ton of videos about making your own hydrogen generator and "what the govt doesn't want you to know about making hydrogen."

Ok, so you have probably seen the videos where this guy made this hydrogen generator out of a couple mason jars, some baking soda and hooking it up to 12 volts on his car and now gets 46 mpg with no power loss and all that jazz.

So let's look at the reality of this. First off, 2 mason jars full of water would equate to just about .2 Kg of hydrogen in the best laboratory circumstances, with no gas loss or contamination.

Next BS. 12 volts to convert water to hydrogen. 1 kg of hydrogen requires 50–79 kwh of electricity.
This isn't a guess, this is actual science put forth by scientist.
A 100 Amp alternator is capable or producing 1.2kwh.
Do you see where the math goes wrong here?

Lasly, it is stated that they are getting more power out of their hydrogen generator, than gasoline.
So let's look at the thermal energy density (power it creates) of gasoline vs. hydrogen.
gasoline produces 
approx. 34.2 MJ/L (mega Joules per liter)
Compressed Hydrogen produces 
approx. 5.6 MJ/L
Atmospheric pressure hydrogen 
approx. 1.2 MJ/L
Again, the math says nope.

But what's this?
The sceptics still say that we shouldn't be looking at thermal energy density MJ/L, we should be specific energy, cause according to them, they've read books and those are different.
Ok, so here we go.
gasoline produces approx.46.4 MJ/kg
Compressed hydrogen produces 
approx. 142 MJ/kg
Atmospheric pressure hydrogen 
approx. 12.7 MJ/kg

So yes, compressing hydrogen does up the specific energy of hydrogen well above gasoline, but that is where fuel cells come into affect.
Mason jars are not capable of those kinds of pressures, so it isn't possible.

And if a person were to think that these numbers are skewed or wrong, consider this..
Hydrogen production in the US is becoming a multibillion dollar industry.
Do you think for one moment that hydrogen producing plants would be paying millions of dollars in energy consumption if they thought they could produce hydrogen using 12V batteries?

Now, using fuel cells is a different story.
Yes, you can get similar power from fuel cells.
Yes, you can get better fuel economy, because compressed hydrogen is more efficient that gasoline. And yes hydrogen can be created from water.
But the energy to produce it still comes from coal burning plants.
Each year, technology gets closer to more efficient means to create hydrogen, but creating it from 12 volt alternators of vehicles isn't even close yet.

So, if you've read this far, I salute you. 
You are probably a gearhead, mathmetician or nerd. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you are all three of them lol. Great read Tony and couldn't agree more about how ridiculous that is, also agree that hydrogen fuel cell is very neat but that energy comes from coal still to make em etc. It's the same thing for me when talking hybrid vehicles or electric. When you plug em into the grid you are getting power from fossil fuel power plants so it isn't this "zero emission" BS they claim. And hybrids battery packs typically last only 10 years and have to be replaced and that over a lifetime the carbon footprint of a hybrid is worse than just a normal gas engine car, truck or even SUV. I like the rental idea but not the execution using current technology. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be cool if we could use electricity from solar or wind to produce the hydrogen.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @90+_Irishman
    Agreed. But we are getting closer.
    The problem is, the mining for the products for the batteries is terrible. 
    It is strip mining and devestates the environment.
    I love when people who drive electric or hybrids talk about the bad gas guzzlers. LOL!

@peter4jc
    In the past 10 years, technology has pushed solar power way beyond anything anyone has imagined.
    Today, I can purchase 4 solar panels, a 5KW inverter and a bank of 10 hour batteries for less than $3k. and the panels would only take up about 100 square feet.
    10 years ago, the panels and inverter to do that were over $15k and the panels would take up 1000 sq feet.
    A look at states that are gaining on wind power and you will see that it is gaining ground. Another thing that they are looking at, but meeting resistance from environmentalists is wave power generation. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tesla has installed a bunch of solar powered charging stations all around town. Their goal is to get it so you can just plug in wherever you park.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to my friends in Canada ( general numbers here):
    A wind turbine costs roughly 2 million make and to get running.
    The electric company pays the land owner rent every month.
    Life span is roughly 20 years.
    1 million to take it down.
    The nuclear plant is contracted to distribute the electricity produced by the wind turbines. Unfortunately the plant is forced to pay 2.5 cents more per KW than the electricity they produce at the plant.
    Will a wind turbine produce 3 mil worth of electricity or more in 20 years. I don't know.
    I am all for clean energy and would like to see more solar solutions.
    Rant over.
    Yes Tony I read the entire post. I do math all day at work, am a former gear head, and I guess that makes me an old nerd!
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are missing the whole point. It isn't about math. It isn't about science. Least of all is it about practical. It's all about feeling good. We're willing to pay through the nose just to brag how much we hate Exxon.

Green is the new Luddite. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, what about that stuff you pour in that fixes your transmission?  You know, you don't need a rebuild, just pour in a bottle of this magic stuff and everything fixes itself.  Surely that works, doesn't it?
                              :D

Just kidding.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    And radiator stop-leak.

Or fix-a-flat, which tire guys hate.

Oh, and I'm just a nerd.  Momma's the mathematician.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Yabbut ... fix a flat and stop leak, that stuff works. Grew in in San Berdoo where bullthorns are hell on bicycle tires. Gotta have goop in your tube if you ride your Huffy in the field, or you will not make it home. Period.

Don't care what tire guys hate.

OTOH -- there is that barsleak that's gonna seal your cracked block  Works great ... depending how quick you can sell that vehicle to a stranger.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I've known stop leak to not work in some cases...and have heard of it causing other damage.  That's why I put it down.  It can work. For a time. In some cases. But it might cause other damage, too.  
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Martel said:
    I've known stop leak to not work in some cases...and have heard of it causing other damage.  That's why I put it down.  It can work. For a time. In some cases. But it might cause other damage, too.  
    Heater core failures, plugged heater cores and plugged cooling passages.
    Those are just a few seen from using products like bar's leak.
    But then again, some sellers will bypass the heater core, so the buywr doesn't realize it until fall.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    @90+_Irishman
    Agreed. But we are getting closer.
    The problem is, the mining for the products for the batteries is terrible. 
    It is strip mining and devestates the environment.

Raw material extraction is a beautiful thing, you have to get these materials where they lay. Sure there are plenty of examples of rape and pillage miners in the past but for they most part there is plenty of oversight in todays operations
    A little dirt never hurt
    That is good to hear that there is some controls over it now.
    We have dealt with a few "carcasses" of strip mining many years back.
    The cost to the state was considerable.
    I am glad to hear that it sounds like mining is doing so reponsibly now.
    Surprisingly, Lithium and gypsum were the biggest that we saw.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    It is like shopping for a nice T-bone, don't even think about the feedlot and the packing plant. When you buy that roll off wire just know it will run electricity from point a to b.

threadjack completed
    A little dirt never hurt
    @dirtdude, I do agree for the most part about this. Yes strip mining has much improved and is nowhere near as damaging as it used to be, but it is still very hard on the area and can be fairly devastating. Also depends on who is doing it, plenty of companies and people that only care about the profit margin and F what it does to anyone and everyone around them. Like with most things, gotta interview and look at the people and companies involved and not just the topic itself. There are good and bad people in all fields in all parts of the world, pick your battles right?

Talking carbon footprint ALONE, nothing else just carbon footprint, any new electric or hybrid car is FAR FAR worse than any other gas or diesel car on the road over its lifespan. And the biggest reason why is the mining, transportation, and refining and subsequent disposal of the batteries. When you mine most of the material in Canada, then ship it to China for processing, then ship it to Japan for final processing, then ship to a different part for assembly, then ship to the USA for sale of the completed car.... how do you think it is shipped? By boat and that boat funs on fossil fuels....

Point is when you consider the total carbon footprint of a vehicle, it is not just about the emissions as it runs over its life, but about sourcing the materials, refining the materials, shipping the materials, shipping the completed car, running the car over the lifespan of the vehicle, and then disposal of the car and related components you start to see just how bad these are in its current iteration. As I said, the theory and idea is one that I absolutely believe in and get behind, its the current execution of that plan that is so terribly flawed. And honestly, I mostly get wound up about the topic because of the large majority of hybrid car or SUV owners that I meet that look down their noses at me for being in a gas car or think that they are saving the world when in fact they are simply uneducated Fox News zombie morons that don't have two brain cells to rub together and the only research they do is what pops up on their iPhone and have zero original thoughts themselves. That level of mind numbing lemming like following just blows my head off.

Rant over... again.... for now ROFL

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    read the fine print
    A little dirt never hurt
    Here's a different sort of snake oil:

Vehicle inspections.  What the heck good do they do?  None as far as I can tell.

I only trust my own eyes when doing an inspection to buy something, never take or have taken to anyone else, just bring Pops with me since he and I know the same things to look for and I trust him. 

Brett
    I was talking more specifically about mandated mechanical and emissions inspections.

buy a vw
    A little dirt never hurt
    Brett,
    Some states require a mandated annual vehicle inspection AND DEQ testing.
    If the vehicle doesn't pass the inspection, in some states, once the vehicle owner has spent enough money trying to fix the problem, they might be given a waiver.
    Or not. 

The problem is, that some states allow the use of approved or certified private shops doing the testing a lot of times. This can sometimes cause some shady doings, as the shop doing the testing could also be offereing the "fixes", so the vehicle can pass.
    You can see why this could be a bad idea.

Oregon only requires DEQ testing in Metro areas. 
    Rural areas are excempt. 

In theory, it's not a bad idea.
    In practical implementation, not so much.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    PA is predatory, from what I hear. Dull-Aware, inspection is free, you can get passed for three years at a time, and your registration sticker is like 25 bucks a year. Motorcycles are super easy. Flash your signals, toot your horn, fifteen bucks for the sticker.

Man we don't have to **** with most of that very often here at least and it's less strict than most places. Apologies on the misinterpretation on my part though. 

Brett
    Fricken' NV has a "luxury tax" with registration. This year my sticker cost me $545 bucks on a 2015 Forester :(
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    This is a funny read! Being in the oil biz and a trained and certified auto mechanic I find my self saying why?! If you truly want to help the "foot print" just ride a bike everywhere! That's the only way. I love people that say well natural gas is natural so it's better then oil. Where do you think oil comes from?! Also the by products of refining oil are butane and propane. So really in the process you get 3 out of one! A point that was brought up was very valid which was how hybrids aren't that good for the earth. Well how do you think they make all these "green" things? Yep made by those horrible power plants that are not so green! I've gotten into too many arguments about this stuff with people that have no idea so at least here people are informed!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Fricken' NV has a "luxury tax" with registration. This year my sticker cost me $545 bucks on a 2015 Forester :(
    Wow!  I mean, we love our Outback, we loved the Forrester, but "Luxury" tax on a Forrester?  Good grief!  What do they charge if you get an actual luxury car? Or is it just the "luxury" of owning a vehicle in the U.S.?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Wylaff said:
    That, right there, is one of the main reasons that Oregon has an income tax and doesn't have a sales tax.
    Sales tax has gone to a vote several times, but vehicle license is the one argument those pushing sales tax cannot get past.

The way it is presented to us is that the vehicle license and registration would be charged based on the "tax value" of the vehicle or market value.
    The more the vehicle is worth, the more they can charge.
    And then there is the luxury tax, gas guzzler tax, 4 wheel drive tax, because you added chrome wheels tax and any other tax they can think of.

As it is, Oregon wants to be able to use your vehicle's GPS to be able to tax you according to miles driven, instead of fuel tax.
    And then charging extra taxes when you use certain highways during rush hour and all that.
    While this sounds good for those with vehicles that get 40 mpg, most people are having difficulty with the govt having access to your vehicle's information.
    And rightly so.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Wylaff said:
    Wow!  I mean, we love our Outback, we loved the Forrester, but "Luxury" tax on a Forrester?  Good grief!  What do they charge if you get an actual luxury car? Or is it just the "luxury" of owning a vehicle in the U.S.?
    Just owning a vehicle. But we have no state income tax.

Wylaff said:
    that could also be referred to as a "hipster tax"
    A little dirt never hurt
    I live at 5k elevation. I'm 270 pounds. I have a family of five. Tell me something better for us than a Forester :)