Home General Discussion

Cigar Apps

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
What app are you using?
I'be been checking out a few and haven't found anything I really like. 
Found one that soundsd good, Cigar Scanner, but it won't install on LG G4.
Another, Sigaro wan'ts you to sign up with your email and "third party vendors" can access that info.

And then half the ones I see are Cigar Boss.
Seems like they made a few dozen apps with different names.

Is there one you all are using that you like?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cfed and cigar dojo
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cigar scanner seemed like a good idea but it didn't have my cigars.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't use an app personally, plus it's fun to dig through the sticks and rediscover gems :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    Cigar scanner seemed like a good idea but it didn't have my cigars.
    They expect the user to build their database for them.  I got bored with that very early-on.....  B)
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm using called humidex. It's in its development but seems pretty easy to use. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet though. Seems to have a good database. I need to try searching for limited releases and smaller batch runs to see if they are in it. 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bert873 said:
    I'm using called humidex. It's in its development but seems pretty easy to use. I haven't had a lot of time to play around with it yet though. Seems to have a good database. I need to try searching for limited releases and smaller batch runs to see if they are in it. 
    Only available for iOS, not android.
    That's kind of goofy.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That stinks. Hopefully once it's up and running they will get it set up with android as well. 
    edited June 2016
    It looks pretty good.
    It will be one to keep an eye on.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Put your glasses on.
    Cigar Apps
    Not cigar Apes.
     :o 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    Put your glasses on.
    Cigar Apps
    Not cigar Apes.
    Oopsie! My bad. :blush:
    Bob_Luken said:
    0patience said:
    Bob_Luken said:
    Put your glasses on.
    Cigar Apps
    Not cigar Apes.
    Oopsie! My bad. :blush:
    Ha!  You think that's bad - for a few days I thought that other thread titled 'salty cigars' said 'Sally cigars' .....  Go figure...  :p
    Well, I've tried a bunch of different apps and the one I seem to like the best is Cigar Scanner, but it won't install on LG G4 phones, which is the phone I have.
    Loading on another phone, it works fine and is actually not terrible.

But, bearing in mind most of them are crap.
    And the fact that Cigar Boss has 50 different apps.

The one that @bert873 recommended, humidex, isn't available on android yet, but there is hope they will release it for android.

So, sifting thru the garbage, I've come to the conclusion that most of what is available for us is junk designed to sell you features or ad removals, that you won't use and doesn't include features or a database that you don't have to build for them.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    While I was still fairly new to the cigar culture I used an app (don't remember the name) that I thought was pretty good. I created a list of all my cigars, logged them out when I smoked them, kept notes, etc. It was all kinda fun. 

After a while it got to be a chore. Then it became tedious. I even quit putting sticky-tags on my cigars showing the dates and where I got them. To me, cigars should be enjoyable - not drudgery. Although, I admit, the sticky-tags are a useful idea.....
  • rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to use Cigar Geeks which had web and mobile, and a good database which made it easy to enter cigars.  Like jlmarta said, it becomes more of a chore to add new cigars and remove them every time you smoke one.  The worst part is that the list you put all the effort into maintaining, you end up never looking at.
  • sigarosigaro Posts: 6
    @0patience Just wanted to jump in to let you know that we don't disclose your personal info (email or otherwise) to third-parties at Sigaro. We only use this info to send notifications (matches, followers, comments), newsletters (if you opt in), and as a unique identifier for your account.

If there are any questions or suggestions for what you might like to see in a cigar app, feel free to get in touch via email (info at sigaroapp dot com). We'd definitely like to be more than something falling under the "garbage" category! :smile:
    @sigaro

I appreciate your posting.
    I will give it a try then.
    I would love to be able to tell the guys I found one favorable, but I can be a bit critical.

As I stated in my original post, your app "looked good", but the sign up thing and mention of third parties in the privacy thing, made me balk at it.

I will give it a try and see. 

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    @sigaro

I have installed the app and have had a chance to look it over.
    I will email you with some questions.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    edited July 2016
    @sigaro

i tried to have a look. Here's my $.02 worth so far -

i do about 98% of my 'putering on my iPhone. When I log into sigaro.com I only get roughly the left half of the page. Doesn't matter whether I'm looking in portrait or landscape mode. 

I assume the site isn't yet set up to handle IOS/iPhones. I'd be curious to see it when it will...   
    @jlmarta We're currently accepting beta testers for iOS, so if you're interested, send an email over to beta at sigaroapp dot com and we'll get you set up.

Thank you both for your interest!
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    "Rate My Cigar" is awesome. Been using it for years. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated (new cigars) in a while. Thats not really a problem though, as you can manually enter the info.
    @jlmarta and anyone else interested - we just released our iOS app, which you can find on our website or from the App Store.

@0patience We're testing an Android update with several of the features we discussed via email and should be releasing it within a couple weeks. iOS should be updated with these new features by the end of the month, as well. Thanks again for all the great feedback!
    @sigaro, thanks for the heads-up. I've just downloaded the app for IOS and it looks like I'll have an interesting time exploring it. If it turns out to be all I hope it will, I think I'll enjoy it. 

Thanks again.....   B)
  • NorthsideSmokeNorthsideSmoke Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭
    When it (Android ap) releases, I would be interested in checking it out. Please update us. 
    Look forward to seeing the updates.
    Thanks
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the app called from Sigaro?
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    @NorthsideSmoke The Android app is also currently available. The link can be found on our website (sigaroapp dot com).

@avengethis The app is called Sigaro.

@jlmarta Please feel free to contact us if you see anything missing or have any other feedback.

Thanks again for all the interest!
    It didnt show up when searched through the google play store but I googled it and linked back from your website.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    It show up on google play if you search Sigaro. They need to get the keywords set up on google play to come up when you search "cigars".
    Can't recall how I originally found it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Hmmm doesn't show up for me when I search it.  weird.  Anyways I have it installed and will check it out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!