Home General Discussion

Your first...

10toes5410toes54 Posts: 85 ✭✭
Your first cigar Good?...Bad....Or ugly? 

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first cigar of my current cigar era was not really tasty but, the ritual was enjoyable so I kept trying. After a while I learned about all the mistakes I had made that guaranteed my fist cigar would taste awful. 
  • RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 22 and was offered a cigar by a co-worker. I had never tried smoking of any sort but I figured WTH. It took me a while to get it lit but the overall experience was good. I wish I could remember what it was.....Until recently I had smoked probably 5 cigars in that 22 years since the first.

Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started out with the Swisher Sweet Outlaws. Late teens, I think. We were bad ass.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Parodi. Inspired by Clint Eastwood and it was bad, ugly, and not good.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first was a john T's cherry cream,I was about 16,ditching school. I remember that I hung out with an older crowd,so it was never a problem getting beers or whatever.my friend and I got a growler of beer to go with our cigars. It was very enjoyable.then made my way through the machine made stogies. Unfortunately I started smoking cigarettes at about 15,and smoked heavy for about 23years. I have been smoking a pipe on and off for about 25years. Got into cigars about two years ago,and over the past 7 months it's gotten much more regular.
    You guys are a bad influence lol
    Non Crux sed lux
    Guitarded said:

Ah yes, forgot to mention we were inspired by Mr. Rated as well.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guitarded said:

Ah yes, forgot to mention we were inspired by Mr. Rated as well.
    That's funny,Clint Eastwood was the reason I tried chewing tabaccy when I was younger.
    I also wanted to spit on anything that crossed my path.
    Damn josie whales
    Non Crux sed lux
    Mr. Eastwood. Damn auto correct. What kind of pos phone doesn't know Clint Eastwood?
  • MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first was a cigar called Thompson Explorer.   A cheap stick at $20 for a box of 20.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I enjoyed the relaxation though.   I didn't want to spend money.  It wasn't until I was given a 'real' cigar did I realize what I was missing out on and realized I needed to spend just a little more money to get something good
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swisher sweets and then when backwoods cigars came out, we smoked those.

First hand rolled were Partagas and RyJ. As those and a few more expensive ones were the only ones available at the news stand.

I still have a few "It's a boy" Fuentes from 1987. Although, they were not kept well, so are now just memeries tucked away in some storage box. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first...now that's an interesting story. I was fourteen. She was--well, nevermind how old she was.  We had been swing at the lake all day and...

...oh crap, youreally talking about cigars right?
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swisher sweets with friends after a beer festival. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    Tampa Nugget we stole from my friends Dad who always had several open boxes about the house. I just remember they stank.
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    My first cigar was a Montecristo tubo that had been aged for at least 10 years by my dad. He doesn't even like cigars, but he bought a few in the 90s to smoke with friends and that was the only one that survived. I can't remember exactly how it tasted, but I loved the experience. I smoked it with 3 friends after senior prom. They were smoking peach White Owls. Poor guys.
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Man this brings back memories. So many memories I can't remember what we are talking about . Oh so confused. Oh yes my first cigar. It was a backwoods. Thought I was cool as a cucumber. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    My buddy had family in London so every year he would bring back a box of cc fonsecas...I had no idea what I was doing but thought it was cool! Then in my late 20's my ex was on biz in Brazil...I asked if she'd bring me back some cc's and she did. I shared them with a co worker at the time and one day he brought me a heavily aged padron. There was no looking back! I still love the padron annys and will always have them on hand! I have to thank that co worker for the financial ride he has hooked me on! Crap food or cigars lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1962...I was 14, bought a box of 'Between the Acts' little cigars, smoked a couple, got dizzy, green, nauseous. Good times.
  • oliverhazardoliverhazard Posts: 7
    My Dad always had a pack a swisher sweet kings in the glove box of his pickup. me and my buddy would get those out and sneak off somewhere to smoke it. Now my Dad and I when we get together we enjoy having a good smoke together.
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    1962...I was 14, bought a box of 'Between the Acts' little cigars, smoked a couple, got dizzy, green, nauseous. Good times.
    When I was a kid my dad smoked those. Came in a pack like cigarettes. Not sure if he did it because he liked them or if it was that nobody ever bummed a smoke from him more then once. 
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    1976. Worked at the Canadian Consulate in San Francisco as a fill in during the July 1 thru July 4 week when lots of their staff were off. The big Boss was a friend of my Dad and smoked cigars, so I thought I'd get him one as a thank you for the job. Went to a fancy cigar shop in the financial district and bought two H Upmann Majors in tubes. Gave one to my boss and smoked 1 myself. Made me sick. Hated it, but thought I was pretty cool. Didn't smoke another cigar until 1981, but that's another story...
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't remember for sure, I was in Jr high 77/78 either White Owl or Swisher Cherry

First real cigar was a Jamaican Macanudo, Prince of Wales, I think,  early 90's. The liquor store where I cashed my check had a small Humi so I would spurge and  get two cigars per week, one of the Jamaicans at $12  and something a bit cheaper.

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I was 16 and on Hot Rod Power Tour in 2004, had a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992 torpedo which was excellent and back when Rocky only had a handful of lines and the Vintage series rocked! This was in the hotel parking lot for the Preston Hotel right outside of the Grand Ole Oprey when Grandpa met up with us on our first Power Tour, very treasured memory and time :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."