Home Cigar 101
Options

A little humidor help...newbie here

2»

Comments

• Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup four should do the trick! Now since its summer most likely they will be sucking up the moisture so you should be good for a while
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep an eye on it for a bit to make sure its stable.
    you are off to the races, might as well get a cooler going
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Khynes124Khynes124 Posts: 15
    Its been about 24 hours since calibrating and throwing my hygrometer and smokes back into the humi, and it looks like I'm pinned on 68%. I've been showing 68 since I went to bed last night and it hasn't changed. What do I do to try and go from 68-65%, or do I just leave it alone? The Boveda packs are 65% packs, so I wasn't sure what my options were at this point
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Personally, I would be happy with what you have. Over time or several openings of the humi, it may drop a little, but if the room Rh is at 68%, then it probably won't move from that. If it's holding steady at 68%, then the cigars in there may be moist and bringing the Rh up. If so, not a lot you can do, except wait it out.

Had to edit because spellcheck isn't working.
    Post edited by 0patience on
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we talk about things stabilizing over time, we mean weeks, not days. Be patient. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I'm definitely happy where I'm at, I wasn't sure how long of a stabilization period was normal. I'll definitely keep my eye on it  and as long as I stay within 65-70% I'm okay with it. It's very humid in NJ right now and I know that is going to effect it's well, so I'm definitely happy where I'm at right now. Thank you guys!!! Now, I have to pick some samplers and fill that bad boy up!!
  • Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeap .....weeks not days. More sticks will help the process. 

But u may as well just get a cooler, your gonna be fighting a losing battle in a few months when all the Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Xmas sales hit. 
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Khynes124 send me a pm with your address. We have a newsletter to mail out to you. I'm sure it would be helpful to you.
  • Options
    Yeap .....weeks not days. More sticks will help the process. 

But u may as well just get a cooler, your gonna be fighting a losing battle in a few months when all the Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Xmas sales hit. 
    I'm already feeling short on space as I scroll through sales and samplers! I'm actually pretty sure there's no way my humi is a 100ct by I can't seem to see how I could fit more than 50-75 cigars inside of mine. It was sold to me as a 100 cut but now that I see it with 35 cigars inside of it, I don't think it's more than a 75 ct. I've still got 4 packs in it anyway...
  • Options
    100 count humi = 60 count in the real world, if even that.
    If one isn't careful, they will either end up with ten 100 count humis, a tower or coolidors.

I've been through all stages of that. LOL!

And probably a good idea to get the newsletter. Alot of great information in it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found out the hard way @Khynes124 Listen to these BOTL and save some aggravation and money.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    100 count humi = 60 count in the real world, if even that.
    If one isn't careful, they will either end up with ten 100 count humis, a tower or coolidors.

I've been through all stages of that. LOL!

And probably a good idea to get the newsletter. Alot of great information in it.
    You're currently using a Coolidor now? How long did it take you to get to that point??!
  • Options
    I have a tower with a cooler for overflow, thanks to this lot.
    I went with a bunch of humidors for quite some time. 
    Then the tower pretty much fell into my lap and I couldn't pass it up.
    For the most part, it's held everything I've thrown at it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    I started with a 125 ct myself. Within less than 2 months I was at one of those and a 300 ct. In less than a year I was at a coolidor plus all that. Now I have my 50qt coolidor, 18 bottle wineador, and 2 desktop 125cts for random sticks and overflow. Kitty litter and boveda packs is how I maintain rH. It can get out of hand in a hurry so best start right haha. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started with desktops. Ended up with five desktop humidors of various sizes. Too much trouble. Now I'm virtually ALL coolidors. Sooooooo easy to maintain RH :)
  • Options
    Well I am definitely easing my way into things, but when it's time to upgrade, I'll be sure to get the 411 from you guys on the ,oat cost effective quality way to do it!

Side note: Humi has been 67-68 for the last week, with some VERY humid weather in NJ this last week or so. I'm very happy, and I'm loving the quality of cigars I'm keeping at that RH also. I'd imagine as the humidity falls outside it may drop down to 65 and level off there at some point, but 65-68,is exactly what I wanted. Couldn't be happier!