Home Non Cigar Related

Please Help - Legal Tenant/Landlord Legal Help Request

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi Ccom Brotherhood,

Many of you know that we recently moved, some know that it was due in large part to an aggressive and hostile landlord that was making our lives miserable. Well the hits keep on coming as we got a letter in the mail today where he demands we pay him $899 on top of the $775 deposit that he already took from us or he will seek further actions against us. We are in a place where not only is that impossible but it is simply ridiculous, there is no one that would look at the pictures we took of the place as we moved out and see that there is $1700 worth of damage. The one spot that was damaged was a countertop and we are happy to pay for that which is roughly $400. We are about to file in small claims court, but the paperwork is a bit intimidating to us. 

Right now we are looking for anyone with legal help or expertise that could on a pro-bono basis assist with either filling out the paperwork or helping us figure out how to resolve this situation in the court of law. We will be filing for Boulder County in Colorado using form JDF-250 which is linked in here

This is pretty serious for us and is causing our family strain and turmoil and we can't afford a normal lawyer fee which is why we are looking for some pro-bono help.

Thank you,
Brett
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Brett you should be able to represent yourself. The judge will take into consideration your pictures. As long as you got right on your side you are good!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, appreciate the support. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Brett, 

Look through this site. http://www.metrovolunteerlawyers.org  There may be some resources that could come in handy to you, or could at least point you in the right direction. 

I recently had to lawyer up for a legal battle of my own and don't know what I would have done had I not had the resources($$) available. 

Best of luck, 
    Gordon
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sadly a lot of landlords take advantage of the fact that their tenants (usually) can't afford legal help. My last apartment tried to nail me for $800 when I moved out. Fortunately my wife kept detailed records or every complaint we ever made. When I presented them with everything that I had complained about that they were charging me for, and told them that we could handle it in court if need be, they promptly dropped $680 from it. They are probably banking on you not doing anything. A counter offer with a credible threat may do the trick. 

http://www.jaypansinglaw.com/

They are in Boulder and do free consultation for landlord/tenant law.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar situation once Brett. At the time I did a lot of research on taking the guy to court. In cases like this the courts almost always decide in favor of the tenants as landlords generally have a bad rep for taking advantage and keeping people's deposits for things that they are not allowed to charge for (normal wear and tear). I realize this does not help you fill out the forms, but hopefully makes you feel a little better that if it does go to court you'll likely win and probably get your deposit back too!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
    Gordon, Wayne, and Kelly thank you all so much for th support and suggestions as well as resources we really appreciate it and I especially appreciate hearing that others have had to go through some of this and learn from that, thank you! I will be reaching out and will see what I can find and setup. 

I I will keep y'all updated as I learn more, we haven't mentioned anything to him about going to court because we are concerned that based on his behavior and attitude before he would try to beat us to the punch so I don't think I will offer to settle out of court until I have already filed. Did some checking and I can file for complaint (small claims court) and then settle out of court if he is willing. Will reach out to those resources tomorrow and see what I can put together. Thanks again all really :)

Brett
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check the laws in your state about keeping deposits   in Washington they have time actually do the repairs and have to provide you with proof.  that might be enough to get them to back down if they are just trying to scam your deposit 
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Well got the surprise of a lifetime today, the landlord who I never would have thought would fold finally did. Got a check for my full deposit today and a request that I not bring against him a treble suit if I dropped the promise to take him to court. 

I can finally put this to bed and got it handled, was such a relief to be done with this and so surprising to get my full deposit back instead of the very small amount that I was asking for back but I guess he got scared and had a change of heart. I really don't care just glad to be done with it and have them out of our lives, finally a big win that we needed!

Thanks for those that were supporting and helping out, happy to be done woohoo!

Brett
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woo congrats!  I hear you can get the Angels Anvils yet.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome news!! I do know too many lawyers but eh everyone sees things differently. My parents were landlords and that was a headache for me! As long as you don't trash the place you should always be in good hands
    Money can't buy taste
    Woo congrats!  I hear you can get the Angels Anvils yet.
    LOL man dont I wish, there are a few bills coming out of it but the biggest thing is that we are using it to pay back a good chunk of debt to Mom and Dad who helped us move into our new place. Cant buy a box of cigars instead of paying them back lol

Brett
    Thanks @Lee.mcglynn Lee, and @silvermouse Edward, it is a huge load off of our minds WOW!

Brett
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news Brett,what a relief for you and your family.
    Non Crux sed lux
    Thanks @johnnyB, Johnny it really is and was much needed this takes so much off of our plates and gives us a lot of piece of mind. Plus it will feel good to start paying down the debt owed to our parents for helping us out too.

Brett
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Bullies are Bullies. As soon as you corner them and knowing their nuts are about to be kicked into a unrecoganisable state, even by their mother, makes them back down. Whether it is figurative or specullative.  Guess you found his sweet spot!  He's a Douch Bag!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's an odd image there. Most peoples mother's don't recognize their nuts. I would hope at least.

I agree with the sentiment entirely though ;)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your parents want you to be happy don't they? What would make you happier than a box of cigars? 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    peter4jc said:
    Your parents want you to be happy don't they? What would make you happier than a box of cigars? 
    LOL yeah, but they are retired and just had to get the dog surgery on her spine so we want to help them out and pay them back as soon as we can. I want cigars bad, I want to help my family more :p

Brett
    @Dark_Roast and @Wylaff thanks gang I really appreciate that and it is such a relief to be done with it, whew!!!

Brett
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Great to hear. 
    Thanks Donnie @CigarPunk, really appreciate it :)

Brett
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a landlord (gasp!!). We always do a move in/move out form. Walk through at move in and document everything and walk through when they move out with the tenants signing at both times. This document protects both parties. It is rare that we have to keep any deposit money above cleaning fees which are already pre determined on the lease. If your landlord didn't have this type of documentation, he didn't have a leg to stand on and sounds very unscrupulous.  You would have slayed him in court. 
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congrats man!  you needed some good news!
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
    Thanks Eric we really did and this was most welcome!

@skydiverD thanks Darrin it would have ended badly for him so I'm glad it worked out in the end for us :)

Brett