Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gout

skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
Any BOTL's had any experience with gout?  I'm over two weeks of the worst pain in my entire life. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!  Been to the doc four times now. First try was 800mg ibuprofen, then five days of Indocin, then a steroid shot, and now Allopurinol. My uric acid came back at a 9.8 (doc said he wants to get it under a 6). I've been laying off the booze as much as I can and don't eat a lot of red meat or pork.

Anyone have any pointers to ease the pain?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read on a blog to drink Cherry Juice.  Not the cocktail version but pure cherry juice. He claimed it helped him overnight or so

ive never had it though
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sour cherry juice. Not sweet.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Dude I get gout couple times a year. Go to gmc get liquid cherry juice extract. Mix the cherry juice with some apple cider vinegar. Drink. I usually can only stomach an once or so each dose. Do it as many times a day as you can. Tastes like ass works like magic.  Good luck my friend
  • Options
    @CigarPunk thanks for the tip. Never heard of the apple cider vinegar. Did a little research and decided to give it a shot. Here's hoping for some relief soon. Thanks again!
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does apple cider vinegar concentrate in the gel caps work?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    skweekz said:
    @CigarPunk thanks for the tip. Never heard of the apple cider vinegar. Did a little research and decided to give it a shot. Here's hoping for some relief soon. Thanks again!
    Let me know if it helps. I also start taking it when I feel gout coming on so I can cut it off at the start.  
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am interested if this helped @skweekz . People talk about gout like they talk about shingles. I have had neither but if this helps at least I can cross one off my feared list
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got it about 9 years ago, mainly from beer. Thought I'd broken my foot, hurt like an SOB. I've been taking Allopurinol since. One Dr. tried to ween me down but the acid levels crept up. So I guess I have to take it the rest of my life....
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skweekz said:
    Any BOTL's had any experience with gout?  I'm over two weeks of the worst pain in my entire life. I wouldn't wish this on anyone!  Been to the doc four times now. First try was 800mg ibuprofen, then five days of Indocin, then a steroid shot, and now Allopurinol. My uric acid came back at a 9.8 (doc said he wants to get it under a 6). I've been laying off the booze as much as I can and don't eat a lot of red meat or pork.

Anyone have any pointers to ease the pain?

Thanks
    I don't drink nearly as much as I did and try to eat vegetarian a couple days of the week along with fish and chicken. Sorry man, ice and cherry juice helped.
  • Options
    dirtdude said:
    I am interested if this helped @skweekz . People talk about gout like they talk about shingles. I have had neither but if this helps at least I can cross one off my feared list
    It's been a sh!tty year for me at the ripe old age of 32.  I've had shingles AND gout this year
  • Options
    After doing some research, there's a thought around that drinking organic apple cider vinegar that contains a thing called "mother of vinegar" in it will help with gout pain.  I've been trying it 2-3 times a day since Saturday morning.  The pain seems to be easing some, but I'm not sure if it's the vinegar working or the medication starting to kick in.  My doctor started me on Allopurinol last week.  I'm about ready to just cut the damned foot off at this point.