Home General Discussion
Options

Taste newby

SteveInTexasSteveInTexas Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
I am new to cigars, but have dove in head first and started sampling as many as possible.  What I find confusing is the taste descriptions and my interpretation.  I have smoked several cigars that are "Full/Bold" and several that are mild.  I would think being new at this, that I would be more prone to like the milder stuff.  I also cannot seem to get the flavors that I read in many descriptions.  I hope that comes later with a more refined pallet.

Example:

I have found, so far that my favorite cigars have been:

Camacho Corojo
Padron 7000 Natural
Vegas 5 Classic

I have no liking for:
Acid
Buenaventura
Pardomo small batch 2005

Is there anything in the above "liked" cigars that is a common thread about them, that I can look for in the future? Or, anything about the others (Acid is just nasty) that is common that I should stay away from?

I find it odd that the Camacho was rated as being so bold.....I found it to be very smooth and flavorful.

Comments

• Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're going to have to keep trying new things and you will eventually find what "fits" for you. You're probably not going to be able to really discern flavors for a while, it's something that takes time to develop just like wine, but just sit down with a flavor wheel and try and figure out what it is your tasting. Good luck and have fun with it.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Boy if you find a old Camacho try that! New Camacho isn't anything too special but the old stuff is great. But as said keep trying stuff and IMO you can't go wrong with padron,Fuentes higher end...not the chatuas or 898's but the hemmingways,don Carlos,opus and anejos and also crowned heads stuff. Infused stuff like acids I'll never smoke but to each they own
    Money can't buy taste