Home General Discussion
Options

Obesession

SteveInTexasSteveInTexas Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
edited July 2016 in General Discussion
I have smoked the occasional cigar over the years, but recently decided that it was a worthy pastime.  So, I've dove in headfirst, not knowing much of anything, smoking whatever I can get my hands on and even sneaking away from work early to visit the local smoke shop. At first, I bought a little plastic travel humidor, a small torch lighter and a Boveda pack.  Now, my lovely wife decided that for our anniversary, we would make a trip to another local cigar shop.  I left with a few hundred dollars worth of cigars of various kinds. My new 120 stick humidor showed up yesterday and I've got it loaded with Boveda packs and began seasoning it. For now, my humidor is a gallon freezer bag and a Boveda pack.  Now I've got an itch to get a tabletop lighter of some sort! 

I just ordered a sampler pack from here that includes:
CIGAR.com Starter Set IV Sampler contains:
1 x Rocky Patel Decade Robusto (5.0x50")
1 x Alec Bradley Prensado Robusto (5.0"x50)
1 x Oliva Serie ‘O’ Robusto (5.0"x50)
1 x Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5.0"x49)
1 x Casa Magna Robusto (5.5"x52)
1 x Gurkha Centurian Dbl Perfecto (6.0"x60)
1 x CAO Brazilia Gol! (5.0"x56)
1 x Macanudo Hyde Park (5.5"x49)
1 x Montecristo Media Noche Edmundo (5.0"x55)
1 x Romeo y Julieta Vintage #7.5 (6.2"x54)
1 x FREE Bass Wood Humidor (40 Ct)

Seemed like a deal to me!

I have tried several different cigars, from Padron 7000, 5 Vegas Classic and Camacho Corojo (my three favorites so far), to Buenaventura, Perdomo Small Batch 2005 and ACID (which are my least favorites so far).  I have no clue how to describe what I like or don't like about any of them so far (except that ACID is just rank). Enjoying the ride.

This new obsession may break me before long.

Anyway, howdy from East Texas

Comments

• Options
    Ryan1990Ryan1990 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome ET!
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum,you should go to your settings and change your number to something more personal.

Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome..
  • Options
    Riddle me this........

Being such a newbie and seeing what I have liked and don't like (so far)......

Is there really any benefit to me smoking higher end sticks?  I'll be the first to admit that I cannot discern all of the various flavor profiles in a good smoke.  So, would it be more wise for me to stick with the $5 and under smokes until I know what the hell I am doing/tasting?
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Steve. Smoke what you like. I have smoked a couple opus and they didn't do much for me. And no I don't have any more. Try different cigars and just see what you like.
  • Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Welcome @SteveInTexas and enjoy the Forum! There are so many decent sticks at reasonable prices. You can scan through the posts and find comments on various cigars to get ideas. You might find a BOTL that seems to have similar tastes and then ping them for insights. I'm not sure I'd put much stock in the descriptions on the online shops, but there are some good review sites. I agree though with @genareddog, smoke what you like. I love a lot of Ashton cigars ($$$) and my favorite yard gar is the Vincent Sinclair Overruns ($1.75) so price isn't necessarily a good indicator either; it's all about personal taste.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Steve it's good to have you here and sounds like you started much how I did, complete obsession and diving in as hard and quickly as you could lol! Also sounds like you have quite the special woman supporting you too which makes it even more enjoyable! As for smoking higher end cigars I would say you'll get 100 different opinions from 100 different people, my take is smoke what you want and what interests you as that's all that matters. Smoking some of the higher end stuff you may miss some of the complexity and subtleties but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still enjoy the hell out of it all the same. 

Welcome me and stick around ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Riddle me this........

Being such a newbie and seeing what I have liked and don't like (so far)......

Is there really any benefit to me smoking higher end sticks?  I'll be the first to admit that I cannot discern all of the various flavor profiles in a good smoke.  So, would it be more wise for me to stick with the $5 and under smokes until I know what the hell I am doing/tasting?

Well, That's some riddles that will get no difinitive answer. There's no right or wrong way to go about it. I've been at it a few years now and I'm still overwhelmed by the vast choices available and still searching for new taste experiences. And you don't HAVE TO put labels on what your tasting. If you really like a cigar, buy another one or two of the same one and if you're still diggin' it, buy a box or get them in five or ten packs. Do your reasearch and you'll be able to buy 20 of your "new favorite" at a price-per-stick well below what you paid for the first three. 

As for sticking with the lower priced sticks,........ there is some reasonable logic in that idea. But it really doesn't matter. The market drives price. But just because the market can bear a $14 or $16 tag on a certain stick doesn't mean you'll get 9 ot 10 dollars of extra smoking value "to you". It's all up to you. Your tastes, your budget, your decisions.

Welcome to the forum.  

We'll have to call you "New-Steve in Texas" 'cause we already got one Steve from Texas. 
  • Options
    Didn't know I had duplicated a name.....it didn't stop me.  If someone can get me a "change order", I'd be glad to.   I cause enough trouble myself.  I don't need someone else's too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917

Welcome and good choice on the sampler. Speaking of obsessions.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzP8ebN-IOo

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Didn't know I had duplicated a name.....it didn't stop me.  If someone can get me a "change order", I'd be glad to.   I cause enough trouble myself.  I don't need someone else's too.
    No, no, no, the handle you've chosen is fine! I'm just messin with ya. His name is Steve. His handle is @Stubble  In reality, no conflict. 
  • Options
    edited July 2016
     For now, my humidor is a gallon freezer bag and a Boveda pack.  Now I've got an itch to get a tabletop lighter of some sort! 

humidor is a gallon freezer bag and a Boveda pack. <------ Best newbie humidor by far! 

Tabletop lighter? Alec Bradley "The Burner" is one I use. I turn it down all the way and use it as a soft flame but, it doesn't hold up to even any breeze whatsoever. If you are outdoors all the time you might consider a triple jet Xicar but, be careful not to char that cigar! 

https://youtu.be/YOem4JswMCk

I use basically this same technique with my alec bradly burner turned down low. and it doesn't take me as long as he took with those three matches but I get it "toasted" and not "charred". It tastes great from the first puff, never getting any of that bitter charred taste you get from lighting (charring) one too fast with too much heat. You can do this also with a jet flame by keeping the flame as far back as possible but still applying just enough heat to toast it slowly until lit. And, often I never even take a draw while applying flame. If I toast long long enough I will have the entire foot glowing before I ever take that first draw. And, if lit in this manner, that first draw is incredibly smooth and tasty. 
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Steve
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a Burner as well, and it's pretty nice. I tend to use my Xicar more often though.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40 said:

Welcome and good choice on the sampler. Speaking of obsessions.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzP8ebN-IOo

My oh my, James. You could be charged with elder abuse for making us oldfarts watch this video. I may have to go change my underwear.....   :p
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

This new obsession may break me before long.

You wouldn't be the first. Just believe me on that.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I guess I need to now add Nub Cameroon to my hit list!!
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bienvenidos tocayo!
    Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did someone say Cameroon?

Why the Nub?
    Why not go for some cameroons that really give you the full experience.
    AKA Hybrid, Torano 1916, Fuente Hemmingway, CAO CX2 and a lot of other ones.

Don't get me wrong, the Nub is a very good cigar.
    It's just that there are some really great cameroons out there for the same or more reasonablel price.
    The Fuente Hemmingway Short Story is, in my opinion, a way better cigar and can usually be found for a lot less.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    Did someone say Cameroon?

Why the Nub?
    Why not go for some cameroons that really give you the full experience.
    AKA Hybrid, Torano 1916, Fuente Hemmingway, CAO CX2 and a lot of other ones.

Don't get me wrong, the Nub is a very good cigar.
    It's just that there are some really great cameroons out there for the same or more reasonablel price.
    The Fuente Hemmingway Short Story is, in my opinion, a way better cigar and can usually be found for a lot less.

Agree 125%, Tony is on top of it and I couldn't +1 more the Fuente Short Story or Work of Art from the Hemingway line... those are just superb!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Why?

Because I cannot try them all at once!! I'll get around to those....hopefully before I go broke. LOL
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why?

Because I cannot try them all at once!! I'll get around to those....hopefully before I go broke. LOL
    Fair enough.
    It's just that I hate to see someone go after teh hype on a cigar when there are a bunch others that are better and less money.  ;)
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.