Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Flaviar

No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, my gf just got me a gift certificate for one quarter on Flaviar.com

I'm trying to figure it out. It seems odd, that you pay for a subscription only to then also buy very expensive booze. I mean it all looks amazing, but I'm not gonna buy a $100 bottle every 3 months while also paying for continued subscription.

I can't even see if they're good prices really. It doesn't look like savings is the goal so much as rare choices. The tasting boxes are interesting, but I'd rather do that as a subscription than the rest of it.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell her next year you want a Ccom gift card.  :smile:
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    haha wasn't for birthday or anything. It does come with a welcome tasting box, but those taste boxes only come once a quarter with subscription.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the HTF whiskey world just having a chance to purchase some of the rare stuff can be very difficult, so from that perspective I can see why they are offering what they are. If it is something that you want to pay for though, well that is a different story.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got that as a gift as well. My understanding was that the subscription was for the quarterly taster, and the purchase of bottles was optional. Am I wrong?
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the Flaviar thing... bought a few bottles I couldn't get then cancelled. The tasters box was not to my liking.  Novel idea, I'm a bourbon man not a scotch man. They have more scotch than anything and there is no discounts on the bottles. Also they ship slow.
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I get at least 3-4 different emails every day from various liquor blogs peddling "the 95-rated bourbon/scotch/rye/whatever". My process: Read the reviews/descriptions online, then go buy (at much reduced prices) at Total Wine and Liquor. 
  • Options
    Haha yea you don't have to buy them, but what's the point of the subscription? If I just want a quarterly taste box, then I'll pay for that like a COTM thing. Otherwise, there should be discounts or something.

My process is mostly at a liquor store going, "OOOH I haven't tried that one!" the end.