Home General Discussion

Torpedo

10toes5410toes54 Posts: 85 ✭✭
I know how to cut a normal cigar BUT how do you cut a torpedo?? 

Comments

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a guillotine cutter?  Or cigar scissors?  Those are the easy ways to cut a torpedo. In a pinch, I've cut a torp using a punch cutter - just center the punch over the pointy end and cut....  
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Double guillotine cutter, snip off the top but not the entire taper, typically about 1/4" or so, right about here in the pic below. Also I like to cut at a bit of an angle and not straight on as is also shown in the pic, it is purely personal preference and allows me to angle the smoke to drop on different parts of my mouth depending on how I rotate the smoke and for me at least after years of refinement and learning to develop my palate it does minutely change what flavors I get and how I enjoy the smoke.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    My favorite vitola for some of the reasons that @90+_Irishman mentioned. I find I can direct the smoke t get additional nuances of flavor. I generally snip off less than some, but it depends on the stick. I like a little tighter draw and on some cigars I'm familiar with that run loose, I snip less. I have had to recut more on occassion for tight draw sticks. Like so much in the cigar world, it can be very unique for everyone.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On these type heads you should start by clipping small amounts first and see how the draw is and then you'll be able to snip off a little more if you need more air in the draw. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that you should use a punch and punch two holes, one on each side but I don't have much luck with that and just cut the tip.  I usually just don't buy any torpedo vitolas.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a Xikar V on most of my smokes, and find it works well on most torpedos.  When the tip is rolled too tight, I do what @Bob_Luken said, and get out my guillotine and just keep cutting further down until the cold draw opens up.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • calicuzcalicuz Posts: 1
    You cut a torpedo the same way you cut a regular cigar, only you get to choose how much or how little to cut off. You will notice that torpedo's have a cap just like any other cigar, so just don't cut below the cap and your torpedo cigar is just fine. The advantage of torpedo's is you can cut a little off and see how the draw and strength of the cigar is and then, if it is not enough, you can always cut a little more until you find the perfect cut to smoke your cigar. 
    Maybe it's like becoming one with the cigar. You lose yourself in it, everything fades away, your worries, your problems, your thoughts. They fade into the smoke, and the cigar and you are at peace. - Raul Julia
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a V cut on a torpedoe.