Home General Discussion
Options

Humidor repair

I have an old humidor my Mom got me. I'd like to still use it but make some changes to it. I know I can take out the hygrometer and replace it with a piece of wood. Use wood filler sand, and paint. Anything wrong with that idea? Has anyone ever replaced the glass top with wood? I know it would be easier to just buy what I want, but thought it would be cool to update this one, and give to my Son someday. Trust me, how it is now is just décor.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Welcome @Oceandrive13
    This may seem like a silly question but, will you be using it to keep cigars or just anything else? (Are you an experienced cigar enthusiast with plenty of humidor knowledge? Just wondering what your level of experience is.)  And, why remove the hygrometer? If it's decorative,.... I'd just leave it in place or replace it if need be rather than try and fill the hole with wood. Is it an antique or just your average "made-in-China" humidor? If it's a valuable antique you might take it to a professional woodworker. I never heard of anybody replacing the glass with wood but, again I'd like to ask why? Just curious. Good luck with your project. Can you take and post some pictures to show us?
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't agree more with @Bob_Luken, these were great and well thought out inquiries and we will need these answers before we can provide much more accurate direction.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like a job for @onestrangeone
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Oceandrive13Oceandrive13 Posts: 3
    Bob_Luken Yes I plan to keep cigars in it. I've been into cigars for a while. It's  not an antique  and I  wanted to fill the hole for looks. I'd  get a digital hygrometer to put inside. I plan on sanding and painting, with a cool outside lock. I just wanted to change things since every humidor looks the same.The glass slides  back an forth so it's  not air tight. Thought I could take the glass out and make it a hard top. Be a fun project while still keeping it and being able to pass down. Thanks guys for all the help and info.
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oceandrive13 Welcome aboard! Sounds like a fun project! I love tinkering with things so I say go for it. But also look for a humidor you can use while your working on it. You can find them pretty cheap on-line :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken Yes I plan to keep cigars in it. I've been into cigars for a while. It's  not an antique  and I  wanted to fill the hole for looks. I'd  get a digital hygrometer to put inside. I plan on sanding and painting, with a cool outside lock. I just wanted to change things since every humidor looks the same.The glass slides  back an forth so it's  not air tight. Thought I could take the glass out and make it a hard top. Be a fun project while still keeping it and being able to pass down. Thanks guys for all the help and info.
    Welcome Oceandrive13,
    Are you going to replace the glass with wood, or are you going to make a new lid?
    Don't really see any problems either way. The veneers on these are really thin, you'll want to be carefull sanding, once you hit the MDF it's had to make the paint look right.
  • Options
    Oceandrive13Oceandrive13 Posts: 3
    onestrangeone  Thanks. Only reason I thought about replacing the glass with a piece of board was because the glass is not air tight. I might keep the glass, but fill in the hygrometer hole.