Home General Discussion
Options

Special Occasion Cigar

SteveInTexasSteveInTexas Posts: 85 ✭✭✭
So, my son and I are avid sporting clays shooters.  A young friend of ours just won two MAJOR world titles overseas.  He is also a cigar fan.  If I wanted to buy him a "congratulations" cigar, what would you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What does he smoke normally?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can give us a few examples of what he regularly smokes it would help to make a reliable suggestion.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    I don't really know......he did mention the other day that he was looking forward to a Rocky Patel 10th Anniversary Robusto
  • Options
    I suspect you will get many different answers, but I would point you towards a box of Padron 1964 Anniversary Maduro cigars. Pricey but not silly expensive, very much a special cigar and would be a dream for any cigar aficionado IMHO.

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    A lot of people go for the Opus, but it just doesn't hit my wheelhouse. 

I love the Illusione ~eccj~ as a celebratory stick.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much do want to spend? There is the gold leaf Royal Danish Swarofski & Gold, opus, padron anniversary, liberty, Camacho PE and tons others. 
    Pretty much boils down to what do you want to spend and how quickly do you want it?
    Your local B&M may even have cigars for just the thing.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    I do want to point out that any cigar becomes celebratory if yo enjoy it, and smoke it in jubilation. 

• Options
    I'll see him and shoot with him this weekend, so I will need to run to the local B&M and find something.  Just a single cigar $25-50
  • Options
    For just a single then I would do a Padron Family Reserve or a Padron 1926 Serie Maduro.

Brett
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love the my father limiteds, plus they have nice gift presentation packaging 
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
    Personally I like to always give two of whatever "special" cigar I pick cause I know when I've gotten them, I enjoy the heck out of smoking one with the person that gave it and then it's cool at a later date after I've had the 2nd one in the humi for a while to smoke it and remember. Just my own little, probably too sentimental quirk. I can always find an extremely fine cigar for under $25 so a pair of em fits the $50 or less price range.
  • Options
    I really like that Glen, hadn't much thought of it before but I think thats a really slick idea thanks for sharing!

Brett