Home General Discussion
Options

Herfador Fix

90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
So the old reliable 15ct herfador bit the dust and had one of the snaps bust off. Tried JB Welding it back on but no luck and didn't want to toss it so but of thinking and a bit of redneck engineering and I was able to use a sheet metal screw to secure it quite well back together. Latch still opens and closes and it's an airtight seal again woohoo! Going to take the air grinder and remove the head to keep it lower profile but have to make it to Pops' place to do that, next visit I'm sure. 

Brett
"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing a little **** can't fix.

Does it go all the way through the lid?  Pop rivet would work well and low profile.

• Options
    It does just barely, it was kinda a shot in the dark before pitching it. Had the thing for years and didn't want to let it go haha. I would need a longer pop rivet but that's a great idea Carl thanks!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive come close to riveting my snaps in place. lol I tried JB Weld too and it didn't stick worth crap :(
    Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Should hold up.  If it doesn't let me know.  I may have some that would work
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good fix.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Thanks Carl @rsherman24, will do I think Pops' has some that may work, will check tomorrow. 

@Yakster thanks man :)

@LiquidChaos66 yeah same thing happened to me Chris. 

Brett
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Sometimes if JB Weld doesn't do the job the new white Gorilla glue will work. It's much better than the original Gorilla glue - I hated that s h I t. 

The new white stuff dries quicker if you dampen the surfaces to be glued first. And it doesn't expand and ooze glue foam all over the place. And, best of all, it'll stick to damned near anything. I love it. 
  • Options
    Thanks Marty will try that on my next project appreciate the heads up :)

Brett
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the Gorilla Glue always like some wetness to act as some sort of catalyst.  Stuff's amazing.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, the original Girilla glue would stick to just about anything but it always oozed a buncha glue foam all over your workpiece which was a beeotch to clean up. I only used it where I needed a waterproof glue and where the messy part wouldn't matter. Other than that, I refused to use it. 
  • Options
    skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    If it was a Xikar, it'd have a lifetime warranty
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just use the Tat Monster Coffin case.
    You do still have it, right? ROFL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience said:
    Just use the Tat Monster Coffin case.
    You do still have it, right? ROFL!
    I love that case and of course I still have it, just significantly bigger and doesn't fit in the backpack on the bike as well buddy ;) I do still use it all the time though, especially whenever I herf I bring that out and its a joy thank you :)

Brett
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We would call that "Yankee engineering!"  ;-)