Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Garden Wonder

tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭
Seems like there are a few garden fans on the forum. Thought I'd share a plant that I have found to be one of a half dozen that are the most beneficial to my garden. This one I planted about 5 years ago to attract bees in the hopes it would help pollinate some food crop plants. It has drawn bees by the ton, butterflies and a Bunch of hummingbirds   Monarda fistulosa or Bee Balm. Helped my strawberries (I grow them under the Monarda) and of course, you can never have too many bees. Last count I have seen 12 different species!  

Comments

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Bee balm is the BEST. I've got a whole garden patch with different flowers designed to attract hummingbirds, but the little buggers don't start coming until the bee balm starts blooming in mid-July. I wish I could get it to bloom earlier. Great thing about it's an incredibly reliable perennial that survives our tough NE winters. Only bad thing about it is one the bee balm dies off the hummers go away. Little ingrates.  
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a bunch of Bee Balm also. The ones we have are wild and are more deep red colored.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Another plant to attract and hold Humming Birds all season, from Spring to Fall, is red Honey Suckle. Unlike wild varieties it has no scent but the color alone attracts many types of flying insects along with the Humming Birds.