Home General Discussion
Options

Feedback on cigar ashtray

I've recently been hooked on cigars for a while now, after working at the TPE trade show next to the drew estate booth,and I've been turning wood for a couple years now and decided to mix the two.
This is the first ashtray I made (including some in the works photos. White background is finished, all others are in the works)

This is cherry wood from a tree that feel in my neighbors yard that i cut, prepped, dried and turned into this cigar ashtray with three notches for cigars. The outside is sanded to 2000 grit with linseed oil then finished with about 15 thin coats of poly. The inside tray was sanded to 1200 grit then I use a method called "shou sugi ban" in which you burn the wood, brush, then apply linseed oil to finish, which results in a dark stain appearance anddue,  to the burning, an increased fire resilience. (however normally you only brush after burning but I sanded back up to 1200 grit before applying oil making it smooth to the touch and a much lighter color than get without sanding)The pennies in the center are bonded in place, just an idea I had to date the piece.

I was wondering if any of you might have some tips or suggestions for any changes i should make to the design. All feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks,
-Cecil

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a winner!
  • Options
    coquinncoquinn Posts: 12
    Wylaff said:
    Welcome! That is a very pretty ashtray. How much time do you have into it?
    The picture of the cherry log being split was back in April, but I had the wood drying for almost a year before that. Turned the rough shape back in may and stored it in a brown paper bag with the shavings...Probably about an hour's time of actual work in that.
    Got it back out early July and shaped the outside and inside. Then i sanded, sanded, burnt, sanded, oiled. Probably another hours time. That's where the picture in the grass were... When I decided it needed holders of some sort, do I took a file to it. Took about 20 minutes.
    Then the poly..... Applying takes maybe two minutes per application, fifteen times.

Sorry to be long winded, and thanks for making me feel welcome.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum! Beautiful work there! Stick around for the great people and lots of good info here. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    I think I should have made this a regular post... Can a mod move it over?
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely beautiful work wow, thanks for sharing and welcome!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're self moderated. Just don't accept any other posts as answers and it will stay in order. 
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Can do. I think I will start a new post to show some other ideas and request feedback on which direction they should go.
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome and nice work. I am using a clay pot one of my girls made me many moons ago in grade school.